My bluey is super unfriendly

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
bts1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

My bluey is super unfriendly

Postby bts1 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:29 am

I've had my Indo Percy for 8 months now and he still won't let me hold him and puffs, hisses, and bites at me if I even walk by his terrarium. He has also recently stopped eating and I've noticed what looks like scabs or some kind of buildup on the sides of his mouth, but he won't let me get close enough to check it out. He has also been having problems shedding but will not stop squirming and biting long enough to let me bathe and help him out with it. I'm worried not only about the shedding problems but also about how little he wants to do with me. When reading about blueys, I kept reading that they were friendly and seemed to enjoy at least some handling, but Percy won't easily let me anywhere near him and if he does, he slips right out of my hands. Not sure what to do about his issues and not sure how to handle him. Any advice will do please.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: My bluey is super unfriendly

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:23 am

Sounds to me you've been sold a wild caught (poached) and trafficked skink and it's had very bad exoeriences with people before you. The behaciour is not aggression as such but defensive and likely a bit of tank territoriality . Been my personal experience that captive bred skinks are usually very friendly and tame as the breeder interacts with them and their parents from the getgo and they never learn to fear humans.

You will need to get a photo of the skink ( perhaps showing the skink issues ) and of the tank and also give a thorough run down on your husbandry ( tank temperatures (basking spot, warm and cool zones ) , humidity , UV source, diet and feeding schedule , suibstrate used .

This threat display bluffing and hissing behavior can be turned around with LOTS OF PATIENCE and KINDNESS .

I think you need to try the old lizard catchers trick ( what we used to as kids before we knew better ) of having a bath towel ( or empty pillow case , or heshan bag , or even an old Tee shirt ) ready to toss over the uber scared skink , this will make it easier to pick it up ( just bundle it up in the towel ) and you can then get it into a clickclack tub to take it to a reptile vet to be examined and treated for any injuries or illness .

I think this skink's fear of you can be turned around, but the first step will be your earning it's trust . I'm a believer in "food is the way the lizard's heart" approach , everytime your skink down the threat (bluff) display , pop a nice tasty worm or other food in the open orifice , it wlll soon learn you are not going to harm it or to keep that mouth shut for fear of being stuffed with food.

You also need a behavior change , show Percy you are boss and you are not scared of him, The worse he can do is bite you on a finger or hand , he might even break the skin , but that's all he can do , but this can be avoided by wearing welders' leather gloves ( you wlll still feel the bite pressure but the skin wont be abraided and broken).
I'd start off with a few minutes of handling ( get Percy out and place him on your lap or tummy while having one hand on his back end ( holding his back end (legs ,and tail) so he can't suddenly dash off ( a bts can move surprisingly fast) and have the free hand to use to give food treats ( into that open mouth you'll likely get in response) or to use a road block / barrier to stop him from moving forward , be firm but not enough to hurt him with pressure .
Build it up slowly over time ( a few minutes each day this week, double the time per day next week , double again following week ….. you get the idea ), make a predictable routine and ritual of it , lizards like predictable routines .

I think in a few months , providing the behavior is not a symptom of Percy being in pain ( due to an injury that's not been treated or an illness that is undetected ) that you'll have sweet smoogy skink faster than you think who might just become a wonderful calm and docile pet. This is indeed possible with even wild lizards who have been mistreated in the past by someone else.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lalat
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lalat » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:18 pm

honestly not having alot of experience, with everything detailed, he might be in alot of pain and reacting, something internal if so

take him to the vet, problems even shedding points to a very uncomfortable skink
lalat
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lalat » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:54 pm

any update on this skink?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”