Need help identifying my new skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
SkinkZ
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Need help identifying my new skink

Postby SkinkZ » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:44 pm

So I just bought my first BTS at the local reptile show. I’ve been researching skinks and waiting to buy one for about 2 years. Finally, I found one that caught my eye. The vendor was too busy to help me, so his 12-13 year old son took care of the transaction instead. The boy couldn’t tell me the subspecies of the animal, as they had a very large selection of animals at their booth. I asked if they could at least tell me the age and the owner quickly glanced over and said “about 3 months”. I know i shouldn’t have purchased without getting more info, but I was too impulsive and couldn’t help myself. I’ve been looking all over different sites trying to identify the little guy; only thing written on the box was “Hi-Red”. I know it’s an Indonesian species but I’d really like to know which kind. Thanks in advance for any help!
F2A935ED-99EF-4B93-9E28-F6900E9C6001.jpeg

P.S. I can take additional photos if needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Need help identifying my new skink

Postby mb606587 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:31 am

I hate trying to ID baby skinks but it does appear Merauke.
Efferalgan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Efferalgan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:07 pm

I'm no expert, but those black spiderwebs on the head and very black legs would make me think of a regular Indo rather than a Merauke.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:54 pm

Efferalgan wrote:I'm no expert, but those black spiderwebs on the head and very black legs would make me think of a regular Indo rather than a Merauke.

Precisely why I hate IDing babies. Meraukes can be born with the webbing and it disappears as they age. You may be right with regular Indo also. They all look pretty similar at that age.
SkinkZ
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby SkinkZ » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:08 am

So what age would you say is best to identify? Sounds about right as their body will change as they fully develop. Maybe at a year old? Which leads me to a new question; I was told the skink is about 3 months old and I purchased in Feb, and I’ve read from some posts on this site that babies are usually born around August? Would that mean little Augustus is actually older than I was told?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:16 am

No I wouldn't suspect it to be any older than what you were told. Captive bred Northerns are typically born here in the US during the summer months. Captive born and bred Indos are usually born here in the spring. I strongly suspect your baby skink was imported from Indonesia, as are the vast majority of baby Indos, especially those purchased at expos and pet shops. The breeding times are different in Indonesia. Post a few more pictures, and try to post one overtop with your skink on a white surface, like paper towels. I may have a better idea after seeing the feet and belly patterns.
SkinkZ
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby SkinkZ » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:19 pm

So it was pretty much impossible for me to get a pic of him belly up. I tried to just take a pic from underneath him not sure if it will suffice. But here’s some additional photos:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:15 pm

Yes looks Merauke to me. As for the toe, you can place the skink in a large tupperware with a very shallow level of warm water. Also adding damp moss into the enclosure and creating a humid hide may help.
SkinkZ
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby SkinkZ » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:30 pm

I really appreciate your help. I’ve been using bark and misting often. Also been giving a good assortment of food every 1-2 days. I’ll give you an update with new pics in a couple months so we can confirm. Btw I now think that white tie is actually just her actual color, not any stuck shed. Will still treat it with shallow water as recommended.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”