Enclosure Question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ssmith73
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Enclosure Question

Postby ssmith73 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:04 pm

I have a Merauke BTS that is almost 2. She is currently in a Exo Terra Large Low and I have a Animal Plastics T8 that is currently empty. The TB is 48"W x 24"D x 12"H. I have a couple Radiant Heat Panels as well and I have a few UVB fixtures.

My question is: do you think it is necessary to have a heat light for basking (which she barely ever does) or could I use the T8 with the radiant heat panel over a basking area, with a separate UVB fixture?

She seems content in the Exo Terra but would like to give her a little more space.

What are your thoughts?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Enclosure Question

Postby mb606587 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:10 pm

It all depends how powerful the radiant heat panel is. But if it can provide an adequate basking temperature, as most do, then a heat lamp isn't necessary. Measure the temperature underneath with an infrared thermometer and report what you get if unsure.
ssmith73
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ssmith73 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:31 pm

I will test it. I did maintain a 90° warm end with it. I will test it out.

Thank you!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:35 pm

90 degrees in my opinion is too low for a Merauke skink. Using an infrared temperature gun, you'll want to see readings in the basking site of at least 100 degrees. I maintain 115-120 for all of mine. If you do not have one already, try placing a flat ceramic tile or slate rock directly underneath the panel. Both tend to absorb and retain heat very well.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:19 am

Some keepers here keep pygmy bearded dragons or netted dragons or smaller skinks , and even bluetongues , in converted coffee tables which have enclosure spaces built in about 12" tall, they use GU10 mounted 50w dichrotic/halogen downlights which are very compact ( in diameter and length ) and produce nice toasty basking spots .
if 50W is too hot , there are 20W and 35W GU10 mounted dichrotic / halogen globes .

Make sure the GU10 fitting fully ceramic , there are some people who sell plastic GU10 fittings that wont take the heat and can become a fire hazard.
ssmith73
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ssmith73 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:59 pm

If I could figure out how to upload pictures, I would but this is what I did.

I had a clamp light that I wasn't using. It has a porcelain fixture that unscrewed into two parts. One with the components and the other the outside shell. So I used a 1.5" spade drill bit to drill a hole. Then I placed the components part inside the hole and screwed the outer shell onto it and it is now fixed to the ceiling of the enclosure. I bought a small 50W halogen bulb. I am getting the 100-105 degrees basking spot.

I gave up on the RHP angle due to the RHP itself becoming extremely hot to get to the desired temps.

My next posted will be to find out how to upload pictures so I can show what I have done and also ask for identification help. My daughter bought the BTS for me and was told that she was a Merauke but I think she is an Indonesian. I do know she's a female as she was sexed by my veterinarian.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:34 pm

Post a picture directly over top of your skink and we'll be able to identify her. And out of curiosity, do you know how your vet was able to sex your skink? The only way I'm aware to positively sex a skink other than breeding is through ultrasound imaging, which is very expensive and beyond difficult to find a vet capable of doing, although perhaps you have found one which can. Some are able to probe or pop males, although that practice can be risky if not outright dangerous when performed incorrectly, and while it can sometimes positively ID a male, as there is no mistaking if the hemipenes pop out (some males won't show), it is not reliable when trying to determine a female for that reason.
ssmith73
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ssmith73 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:33 pm

mb606587 wrote:Post a picture directly over top of your skink and we'll be able to identify her. And out of curiosity, do you know how your vet was able to sex your skink? The only way I'm aware to positively sex a skink other than breeding is through ultrasound imaging, which is very expensive and beyond difficult to find a vet capable of doing, although perhaps you have found one which can. Some are able to probe or pop males, although that practice can be risky if not outright dangerous when performed incorrectly, and while it can sometimes positively ID a male, as there is no mistaking if the hemipenes pop out (some males won't show), it is not reliable when trying to determine a female for that reason.

The vet did use a probe. She is the vet for Sea Life at Mall of America and the MN Zoo. Not saying she 100% accurate but I feel pretty comfortable with her. But we do not have plans to breed her so the name Blue works.
ssmith73
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ssmith73 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:16 pm

Here are pictures of the finished product. I am going to add some fake ferns tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:37 am

In the past I've had issues with those half logs molding in high hunidity enclosures. You may have better luck than me but if you notice mold growth, you can switch to cork bark tubes.
ssmith73
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ssmith73 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:08 am

mb606587 wrote:In the past I've had issues with those half logs molding in high hunidity enclosures. You may have better luck than me but if you notice mold growth, you can switch to cork bark tubes.

These are actually not wood they are made of some sort of plastic. Picked them up from Petsmart, I believe.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”