Having trouble cleaning a specific part of my Atasuki terrarium

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Jesscookie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Having trouble cleaning a specific part of my Atasuki terrarium

Postby Jesscookie » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:15 pm

Hi all,

I've had my bluey for quite a while now and decided to do a real deep clean of the terrarium. I bought this Atasuki tank years ago and it's never failed me, EXCEPT for this inner layer of glass that creates a gap between the outer layer way too small for me to reach with the tools I have. That gap is normally sealed by these plastic sections like so (sorry about the gross picture. I made the mistake of giving him cherry tomatoes that squirted everywhere when he ate them...):
20200209_195015.jpg

Since some gunk and substrate slipped through them as they came apart over time, I snapped them off (they are easy to put back on) to take a look:
20200209_194913.jpg

I stuck my finger in to show there's a gap. I would say it's about a centimeter wide? The inner glass layer is glued very tightly to the bottom of the tank, so I'm not sure if I could take it off. If possible, I'd love it to not be there at all... Note that this came assembled when I bought it, so I don't know how easy it is to deconstruct.

So... has anyone dealt with this specific structure in Atasuki tanks? What even is it?? Should I just live with tomato juice and old substrate forever in the margins of Winston Speedwagon's tank??? Can you think of a way to clean it thoroughly as is? I know it's such a little thing, but it's annoying me so much!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jesscookie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Having trouble cleaning a specific part of my Atasuki terrarium

Postby Jesscookie » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:40 am

Sorry, figured it out. I just had to pull the top frame off and the rest came apart.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”