Are vitamins unecessary if i feed dog food? And does calcium work without d3?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Are vitamins unecessary if i feed dog food? And does calcium work without d3?

Postby Q.Ilyan » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:03 pm

As asked above. I've been told that vitamins like reptivite are not needed if i already feed dog food since the dog food already has the vitamins in it. Is this true or can i supply it anyway?

Also, i've read that calcium will not work properly without d3, or have I researched this wrong? I know some users who provide UVB and still supply vitamins and calcium with d3, sparingly of course. But nonetheless.

Additionally, I add some dried insects on my skink's food from time to time. He doesn't eat them often so live ones go bad too quickly. I use the Fluker's brand of mixed insects. It has grasshoppers, crickets, and mealworms. This is just an added treat. Does it provide nutritional value? I've seen some people use them, however, someone told me they don't really hold any value.

Please verify.
splashy07

Re: Are vitamins unecessary if i feed dog food? And does calcium work without d3?

Postby splashy07 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:56 am

I use the calcium plus d3 for individuals still in the growing stage and for gestating females. The d3 is what helps process the calcium, as I do not use UVB (don't want to start an argument here, just stating what works for me). Vitamins are unnecessary if you use a high quality food, and as far as the fluker's I have used the Buffet Blend for bearded dragons to raise countless baby dragons and skinks. I leave it in their cages at all times (dry) as a supplement to their diet, I will feed various other items also but this is available to them at all times. It contains nutrients they need and has proven itself to me.
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Are vitamins unecessary if i feed dog food? And does calcium work without d3?

Postby Q.Ilyan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:39 am

I was in discussion with someone in an app about the importance of d3 even with uvb, but they said calcium will work by itself without d3. I was doing research on supplementation and this is what they've told me, but i wsnt sure. I just needed to double check.

Thanks for clarifying!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:45 pm

Just to add and comment from my own personal experience, I've only ever fed canned dog food with some frozen vegetables mixed in. I've never once supplemented with a multivitamin for any of my skinks. I generally don't use UVB, and when I have, never noticed a difference in behavior. I do a very light dusting of calcium w/ d3 powder once a week. My oldest skink went the first 15 years without UVB, multivitamin, or calcium supplementation, just canned dog food and she's only been receiving the weekly calcium dusting for the past 5 years in her older age.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:11 pm

Sounds good to me, a high quality diet should be all that's necessary to keep a pet. Being that I breed and raise youngsters and deal with gravid females, I'll use on occasion but before I was breeding I did not. Back when I used to do rescue I would use vitamins for individuals that came to me in poor health. A healthy animal with a good diet doesn't necessarily require.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”