Is this mouth rot or scale rot? What can i do to fix?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Is this mouth rot or scale rot? What can i do to fix?

Postby Q.Ilyan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:39 pm

At first I thought it was dried coco fiber on his mouth, but now i'm not sure. I am planning on taking him to a vet soon for a check up, but for now i'd like to consult with you all.

Here are his husbandry info:

He has a che for keeping up ambient temps at around 80. And one spot goes up at around 102f to 104f, he basks there now and then.

A 5.0 T8 reptisun uvb hood that runs aceoss the length of his tank. Some spots are farther away and other spots are closer to it. He climbs now and then

He has a heatpad that runs at around 97f to 100f. He goes here at night.

Nutrition:

He eats Blue buffalo grain free turkey/chicken. I switch back and forth.

Greens consist of collard greens, arugula, bok choy. I switch to whatever is available. I will throw more variety for the next grocery shopping.
Other veggies consist of summer squash, green beans, carrots, spaghetti squash
Fruits as treats include blueberries and bananas

Insects as added protein- dried mealworms (small), dried crickets, dried grass hoppers, hornworms (phoenix worms)

Additional-- Bluey buffet

Water is replaced often. Once or every two days. Or depending on if there's debris in there then i switch out more times in a day.

Supplement:

Calcium with d3 and vitamins (repashy's calcium plus) this is often used.

Calcium without d3 (repti-cal) once in a while.
I do this because he tends to burrow or wedge himself in dark corners, this is to make sure he still gets his needed vitamins.

Substrate:

Mix of eco earth, mulch, sphagnum moss. Includes some springtails.

Humidity:

Ranges from 60 to 90%

Behavior:

He is not aggressive or defensive anymore. Burrows sometimes. Handling behavior is getting better. He comes out sometimes to bask or drink. He does lick his food often before actually eating, eats normal. He does take a long time to eat, about 15 to 20 minutes since he licks so much of it before biting into the food. His actual mouth seems fine but its just that one spot above it. He has had this i think since i got him, i'd assumed then it was eco earth. Ive bathed him in warm water and it does not come off.

I've attached pics of his mouth. There is a black spot on his left, you can see it in the fourth and fifth pics. The rest are of his other profiles. I'd also like to add these are recent pics, the top two are feom this weekend and the three left are from this afternoon (2/5/20)

I'd appreciate a confirmation and tips on how to help him recover if it is what i think it is. Perhaps a cheaper way to apply medicine on him if possible, but he will be taken to the vet this coming week. I just don't want to pay too much for something that can be fixed with drugstore medicine.

Edit: i apologize for the upside down pic, i have no idea how to fix it. It appears normal on my gallery.

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Is this mouth rot or scale rot? What can i do to fix?

Postby mb606587 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:32 am

I wouldn't suspect it to be mouth rot. I would have also assumed the discoloration to be substrate. Sometimes these skinks have scalation issues that pop up around the mouth and clear up on their own. If you can inspect the inside of your skink's mouth that would be helpful. Sometimes abscesses form causing discoloration and a pronounced bulge. If you notice any of that, antibiotics will then be necessary. If your skink is new and hasn't been vetted before, an initial check up still may be a good idea.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:55 am

This is a good thread to see what to look out for with an abscess.
viewtopic.php?t=31463
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Q.Ilyan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:18 am

Hi,

I checked his mouth as much I could without bothering him too much and found no bumpy discolored area in his mouth. I can't check any deeper though. I'm sending him to the vet this following week and have them check him more thoroughly.

I do know this discolored area has been there maybe about three weeks now. It was aeound the same time i'd moved him from eco earth only to a mulch/eco/moss mix. He dug aeound his first week and would get eco all over him. He has only also shed once under my care.

Wouldn't the abscess cause discomfort when eating? It's a good sign that he seems to be eating normally, even though he licks at his food too much? Or is this just typical behavior for them?
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Q.Ilyan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:19 am

Hi,

I checked his mouth as much I could without bothering him too much and found no bumpy discolored area in his mouth. I can't check any deeper though. I'm sending him to the vet this following week and have them check him more thoroughly.

I do know this discolored area has been there maybe about three weeks now. It was aeound the same time i'd moved him from eco earth only to a mulch/eco/moss mix. He dug aeound his first week and would get eco all over him. He has only also shed once under my care.

Wouldn't the abscess cause discomfort when eating? It's a good sign that he seems to be eating normally, even though he licks at his food too much? Or is this just typical behavior for them?
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:00 am

They always lick their food a lot. I wouldn't worry too much about that scale, at times they damage them on their own and it fixes itself with next shed. Good to know he is being checked anyway.
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Q.Ilyan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:02 pm

Thanks for your inputs! At least now i dont feel i have to rush the appointment. He'll be in saturday of next week instead of me taking half a day off to take him in.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”