6 Month Check-In... Enclosure/Skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Kbomb
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

6 Month Check-In... Enclosure/Skink

Postby Kbomb » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I’ve been having great success so far with my skink. Having tried multiple substrates, light bulbs, etc... I just wanted to show my setup and get some reviews of my enclosure/skinks appearance.
I’ve got my Northern in a 75 Gallon aquarium and most recently switched to bioactive(only 2 weeks old) and I’m just giving it a shot.
I’m using a 150 watt basking bulb and a 80Watt ceramic heater on the hot side(only 1 on at a time depending on day/night) and a 36 inch T5HO UVB. Basking temp sits around 100 degrees at the hottest point with the cold side of the cage around 70-72.(Its winter and my home is too large to heat the cage effectively). Usually gets around 74-76 in summer.
I incorporated a drainage lair and mist the cold side much more than the hot side, my analog hygrometer fluctuates between 60% right after misting to 30% a few days later when I mist again. The top soil stays dry, but 2inches down is damp.. I don’t most under his hot-side hide so the soil there is much drier.
As far as food goes...
I give him the same meal once every 3-5 days.
It’s the same but the mix I think is the right way to go.. it’s Zynature Kangaroo Formula dog food with 2 Nightcrawler Earthworms, and a finely diced papaya chunk total mass about half an ice cube size. (Sometimes a bonus Hornworm when they get too big for my chameleon).
So far he’s been active and healthy, but I will note he spends a vast majority of his time under the hot-side hide. Luckily though he defecates on the cold side almost exclusively. The hide towards the middle/cold side is where he goes every now and then.

I’ve spilled most of what I’ve experienced/done so far. Just wanted to know from more experienced folk if I’m on the right track!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: 6 Month Check-In... Enclosure/Skink

Postby mb606587 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:02 am

Sounds like your skink is thriving. Everything looks good, assuming your rock pile doesn't have the potential to topple over.
Kbomb
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kbomb » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:09 am

Thank you for reviewing my setup! I’ve been really curious to find out if I’m on the right track with this guy. And the rock pile is actually a single exo-terra fixture, he likes to climb on it every once in a while.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:07 pm

I figured it was, just didn't want to assume.
Janella
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:40 pm

I think everything looks well as well. The only thing I would saw is perhaps add another hide. My guys have 3 total in their enclosure. They love to climb and burrow in and on them.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:12 am

Agreed, mine constantly use their basking platforms which double as hides. I will post a picture when I get home from work.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:03 pm

Here are some examples of a few of mine. I make them with plastic hides and cut pieces of cork tile (marketed as background for terrariums). I use aquarium safe silicone to attach them. Eventually it becomes loose, then you just do it again. Hard to get the silicone to be a permanent seal but I don't want to use anything else. Basking area never gets too hot for them and doubles as a hide. They love them. In my egernia's enclosure I use a slate held up by bricks. They're not large enough to move this, but I'm afraid the blueys would and fear them collapsing the slate right off the bricks! Their strength and determination (especially when in season) is mind boggling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”