giving medications

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

giving medications

Postby Jay » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:53 am

hello, I am wondering if any of you can give me any tips on giving medication. My skink is about 6 months old and has a respiratory infection. He has been given baytril and needs to take 0.02ml twice daily. That is a very small amount - like 2 drops. I have been dropping it on his mouth hoping he will lick it off, which I think he has been, but I am concerned he may not be getting it all. He refuses to open his mouth and I don't want to force it open and hurt him.
Any advice would be very appreciated
thank you
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: giving medications

Postby mb606587 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:42 pm

Try bringing the syringe to the side of the mouth and press gently. In my experience, every skink has eventually bitten down on the syringe. The medication can then be administered orally.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:44 pm

Visit a vet and request 3 or 4 of these :
22G SureFlo Catheter ( with needle removed and discarded ) .

About $2 each is what my vet charged me , all I had to do was ask at the front desk .

The tube slips into the mouth ( at the back corner ) , only needs to go slide in past the teeth and rest on the tongue , then press the plunger to get the meds into the mouth.

I found it was a two person job, one person restrains the lizard and guides the tube into the mouth and holds it there, the other operates the syringe.
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:10 pm

thank you, I will see if I can get one of those. I am currently using a very small syringe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janella
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:41 pm

If you come from the side and press gently most skinks will open their mouths right up.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:10 am

Agreed, and the syringe you have should work just fine.
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:31 am

thank you for the advice. he is very resistant but we are managing to get it in. he refuses to open his mouth and bite, but I gently open his mouth and I think he is getting his 2 drops.

I am feeling quite frustrated with the feeding issue. We have had him 2 weeks now and he refuses to eat. at first I thought it was just adjusting to a new environment, then I noticed he was shedding, then I noticed he was extra sneezy and his eyes had bubbles coming out so we got him on medication for a respiratory infection. He has been taking that for 3 days now and still won't eat. He has also had medication for deworming. I have offered him all the foods that he should love! he did lick some egg one day and took a bite of mango another day. every day i put in a plate of food - fruit, vege, cat food or boiled chicken or gizzard. he wont even eat live worms.

We have done a lot of research into the conditions he needs and I think we are doing everything right. He is a Merauke (or maybe Halmahera - I find it hard to pick up the difference). he is in cocopeat, humidity 70-80% (it was a struggle to keep it high enough at the beginning because he just had paper towel as a substrate so we could look for mites etc - last few days it is up at 80% sometimes even 85%), temp 32-35 on warm side and 26-28 on cooler side (is that too warm?). He has a UVB light on one end. he does not bask - just sleeps in the cooler end. he has a hide on each end of his home, and a flat rock under his UVB light.

What am I doing wrong?
Janella

Postby Janella » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:41 am

If he is sick he probably won't eat on his own. I highly recommend getting some carnivore care and doing some force feeding. Have you talked to your vet and let them know he still isn't eating? I would. If you post a picture we on the group can help you identify him.
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:02 am

Thanks, here are a couple photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:32 am

You have a Merauke locale. Have you tried something that may stimulate him such as a fast moving insect?
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:37 am

great, thank you. That is what I thought he was. No, I do not have any fast-moving insects - I will try that. When I take him out he is very active and does not behave sickly at all - so I really do not know what his problem is. I think the resp. infection is not serious - we caught it early - there is no mucus and he does not seem to be struggling to breathe.
Janella

Postby Janella » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:54 am

When my Merauke was sick with a bad infection, he acted relatively normal. The only way I knew something was wrong was because he wouldn't eat. Normally he is a pig. So I would try to force feed him a slurry or even the fast moving insects. Keep trying a variety of food. He needs to get his gut moving.
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:42 pm

Yes, this guy seems to be acting quite normal, he looks healthy, he just won't eat. I have not been able to get carnivore care here, but am working on getting some from Australia and hopefully will have that next week. In the meantime, I keep trying to feed him all sorts of things. I am wondering if this cat/dog recovery food I can get here is safe for him. Do you know about this brand? i did make a slurry of other foods and am trying to feed him with a syringe, he really does not open his mouth, but will lick up what I drop on his face. Just wish I knew why he wasn't eating. Do you know how old he is? I was told 6 months but he is quite small and I wonder if he is younger. He weighs 24g and 22 cm long.
Last edited by Jay on Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:44 pm

Hills Prescription Diet
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:40 am

If he's licking sloppy foods : I know these products are very good ( personal experience with rescued injured wild skinks ) :
VetaFarm HERPABOOST
https://www.petcircle.com.au/product/ve ... st/rhv0122
VetaFarm CRITTA-CARE REPTILE.
https://shop.stefmar.com.au/vetafarm/ve ... iles-100ml

Both are very thick slurries , I found when I used these to feed very critically ill skinks that I needed to use an 8G feeding needle to draw the slurry into a 10ml syringe ( I actually made the bore of the syringe bigger by drilling it out with a 2mm drill bit ) .
I used a kit like this ( the conical nozzle ) to deposit a blob of Herpaboost or Crittacare on the side of snout of the sick skink , with a droplet of honey ( Manuka Honey ) from syringe ( I used a 14G blont drawing needle to fill the honey syringe ).

The honey was the feeding / licking enabler , and since most skinks are suckers for sweet tasting liquids ( they soon were very keen to take the honey and the liquid high potency food ) and were even licking my fingers .
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:07 pm

Your basking temperatures are a bit low. Try getting it over 40 degrees and see if that helps with the appetite. Sometimes a bump in temperature gets it going. The cool side is fine as is.
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:12 pm

because he spends all his time on the cool side I was thinking it might be too hot on the basking side - he never basks. If I bump it up to 40 his cool side will go up too. this is ok?
he ate a piece of mango yesterday so that was encouraging. But that is it.
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:18 pm

Thank you for the advice - I was able to get some VetaFarm HERPABOOST from Australia and fed him his first of that this morning with a syringe - he licked it up quite easily. he has also taken a few bites of fruit and licked up some raw egg over the last few days. Hopefully, he will get his appetite soon. I took him outside to get some natural sunlight today and he cruised around the terrace at quite the speed. he does not seem sick, other than not eating. He has finished his antibiotics now and I was thinking maybe they were making him feel like not eating.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:39 am

Jay wrote:Thank you for the advice - I was able to get some VetaFarm HERPABOOST from Australia and fed him his first of that this morning with a syringe - he licked it up quite easily. he has also taken a few bites of fruit and licked up some raw egg over the last few days. Hopefully, he will get his appetite soon. I took him outside to get some natural sunlight today and he cruised around the terrace at quite the speed. he does not seem sick, other than not eating. He has finished his antibiotics now and I was thinking maybe they were making him feel like not eating.

HerpaBoost is good stuff.

I find that the easiest way to give if via a small (10 ml or 20ml syringe - hole made bigger so bore is about 2mm - 3mm , a drill does that job) , I draw up nearly a syringe full using a 8G feeding needle (nose in the bottle) , and then cap the syringe between feedings and this way if not all the HerpaBoost is used in a feeding, I can recap the syringe ( to seal it ad stop air from drying the food in it and its kept in the fridge.
Same applies to the Herpaboost bottle.

Make sure to note the feeding ( daily ) volume recommended on the bottle .

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”