Page 1 of 1

Lethargic Indonesian blue tongue skink

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:10 am
by Remi
I have a 6.5 month old Indonesian blue tongue. Recently she had diarrhoea with worms, stopped eating and became suddenly a bit aggressive (she was relatively docile before). I took her to a small animal vet and the vet did a health check and said she seemed very healthy other than the worms. She was given some medication for the worms and had the first dose on Friday. Since then she has become very lethargic and spends all day in the cool side of her vivarium. Sometimes when I open the tank she doesn’t even open her eyes so not very responsive. She hasn’t eaten now for 9 days.

I’m not sure what to do because the vet said she seemed very healthy but she hasn’t eaten and is lethargic. Should I wait for the medication to kick in (she’s only had one dose of 4 - 1 syringe every 2 weeks) or take her to a reptile specialist?

I noticed that her belly is milky white but she has shown no other signs of shedding. She last shed about 3 weeks ago.

Her tank is at 95-79 gradient hot to cool and humidity at 70%

Re: Lethargic Indonesian blue tongue skink

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:18 pm
by mb606587
Get the temperatures higher. 110-80 basking to cool will be better. The belly being milky white is an indicator that your skink will be going into shed soon. That also may cause your skink to become lethargic and not eat, but with the issues your skink has had, I'd consider a second opinion from the vet that actually specializes in reptiles.

Re: Lethargic Indonesian blue tongue skink

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:00 pm
by Janella
Definitely increase the temps and go to a vet that specializes in reptiles. Not all vets know what they are talking about. Your skink sounds sick, and yes it could possibly be shed, but if you were seeing worms so bad they were in the poop, then they possibly could be doing more to your skink on the inside. I would go back to a vet asap.