Sold to me as an indo but ive been told he is an eastern??

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Sold to me as an indo but ive been told he is an eastern??

Postby Q.Ilyan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:54 pm

Hi!

According to the labels and what ive been told by the seller that my skink is of the indonesian species. I went to reddit to get advice on what subspecies he is and have been told what i have is an eastern instead.

From a quick search i found out that easterns are of the australian variety, which from what i see require lower humidity. I have had mine for a month on 60% plus humidity. Id like to correct this immediately if he is in fact an eastern.

If more pictures are needed i will add more.

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Sold to me as an indo but ive been told he is an eastern??

Postby mb606587 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:18 pm

Definitely not an Eastern. Stay off reddit for skink advice lol. Easterns cost in excess of $700 in the US and are extremely difficult to find outside Australia. That is a Halmahera Indonesian. Keep the humidity between 80%-100%.
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Q.Ilyan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:37 pm

Phew, thanks so much! And on another note, there is little chance he is cb, right?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:45 pm

If by CB you mean Captive Born and Bred (CBB) by a breeder, then slim to no chance. Often times importers will sell CB (Captive Born) skinks which in most cases means farmed outdoors in Indonesia. So technically yeah it was born in captivity I guess, but it was still imported. Or a pregnant wild caught skink was collected during the breeding season, gave birth in captivity, and the babies were quickly sold.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:38 pm

I concur , doesn't appear to be an Eastern . Doesn't have a broad dark band behind the eyes.
My pet eastern George in backyard .

If it were , 60% RH is fine .
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:11 am

Not all Easterns have eye bands, and some Irian Jayas do. The way to differentiate if you are unsure visually is the price you paid for it. Easterns are extremely rare at expos and pet shops, and will command high prices if found as such. Majority here in the US are from breeders. No one will mistakenly sell a true Eastern as an Indonesian. Do your research, preferably not on the internet unless it is truly a reliable source. There are also many hybridized species out there that make it even more confusing. Again an argument for researching before buying.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:18 pm

Absolutely, the eyeband, while the most famous feature of the Eastern BTS, is not universal to all. The ones which do not have the eyeband oftentimes bare a striking resemblance to the Irian Jaya skinks. Although in this case, there is no question in my mind that this skink is neither Irian Jaya nor Eastern. For instance, my Irian Jaya which probably shares more of a likeness to kingofnobbys Eastern then the OP's Halmahera.
20190117_143713.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:32 pm

Definitely, Halmahera as mb advised. Halmaheras, Meraukes and Irian Jayas are the most common BTS in pet shops and at expos in the US. I have seen (way more often than I can tolerate) all of the above, most often the IJs advertised as Northerns. Completely different husbandry requirements, really ticks me off. It is SO IMPORTANT to know what you are buying, as I have said a thousand times.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:35 pm

Forgot to mention, your IJ certainly bears a resemblance to many Queensland form Easterns. I have also seen Northern/Eastern crosses that look exactly like some IJs!!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”