Indo BTS poop is runny. Is this normal?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Indo BTS poop is runny. Is this normal?

Postby Q.Ilyan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi! I'm new to caring for bts so i'm not sure if there is anything abnormal about this, but I thought i'd ask as his poops are soft, not fully formed.

Ivehad him for 3 weeks now. He is about 13 ti 14 inches long. Maybe a year old. The seller said he is not fully grown. Tank is a 40 gal breeder. Will be upgraded when he has been acclimated and quarantined for 3 months at least.

He has 2 kinds of heating, one heatpad that runs at 95f and one che that keeps his basking area at 100f to 110f. All with thermostats.

His humidity fluctuates at 50 to 80%. I have a glass tank that ive covered with foil to keep heat and humidity in, but humidity is hard to maintain during winter. I spray maybe twice a day to keep it at 60 at least, but it goes 50 sometimes.

His food alternates between: blue buffalo grain free chicken/turkey grill. Its a pate and i only keep it for a week in the fridge. I also feed him some bluey buffet. Fed every monday and friday, with his green and protein mix. On wednesdays he gets bluey buffet or a bit of egg. Just a small amount though.

Veggies: arugula, green beans, summer squash, carrots, bok choy. I alternate between those. My staple are the green beans and summer squash mix with some arugula.

Treats: blueberries, bananas, bluey buffet, quail eggs, regular eggs. This is only fed during handling and sparingly.

Supplements: alternating between repashys calcium with vitamins and calcium without d3.

Water: always availablr. Replaced every day or two. Has reptile conditioner. Rarely has substrate in it has he has to climb rocks to get to it. He can reach it fine as ive seen him drink from it multiple times.

He has uvb available for 10 hours. Che stays on all night to keep him warm if he wants. He usually sticks to the heatpad.

He has been behaving normally for a new skink. A little huffy but he is getting a lot better. He eats like a pig, almost always finishes his food. He basks or digs around. Clear eyes and nose, active in his tank, and breathing makes no raspy noise.

Its just his poop is soft, like so soft he just up and smears it all over his tank lol. It smells okay, nothing too overtly strong. It looks like it has a whipped cream consistency, the kind you sell in the cups, not the spray. I dont have pics so im describing best i can lol.

Color is greenish brown, some urates here and there. Very small amounts of urates, actually.

I might be paranoid, but i want to make sure.

Thanks!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Indo BTS poop is runny. Is this normal?

Postby mb606587 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:10 pm

It could just be a switch to a new diet. Eggs in particular are known to give them runny poops. Your husbandry seems solid and the fact that he's eating voraciously is a good sign. If it continues, a fecal test for parasites is always a good idea.
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Q.Ilyan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:37 am

Is the small amount of urates anything to be concerned over? I barely see any, or sometimes none at all.

I'll observe his bm for a few weeks and see if there's been improvement. It's odd because when i first got him his first poo was solid. Same diet ive had then. Only difference is that ive added bluey buffet now, but i havent read anywhere if this causes some sort of issue with their stools. I will remove it this week to see if its the culprit.

Thanks!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:05 pm

Na I wouldn't be terribly worried about urate production with a new skink. The biggest concern I have with any imported reptile is internal parasites, which can be a slow killer if not treated. I am unaware myself of any issues Bluey Buffet may cause to the stools as I've never fed that. You could start isolating certain foods to see if any one may be the cause as you said. Also try switching brands of dog food. It's a fairly common issue with many skinks though and most deal with it at some point in time.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”