New baby acting weird

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
honestpirate
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New baby acting weird

Postby honestpirate » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:54 pm

I just purchased a blue tongue skink from my local reptile expo, the seller claimed it was a merauke island and captive bred. I set it up in an enclosure that has a substrate of the cypress mulch forest floor and coco fiber that has been misted. I have UVB and a heat lamp with a basking area as well as a hide under the basking spot and on the cooler side of the tank. The skink is pretty small, I would guess only a couple months old. He is not moving much, huffing a little bit but for the most part he moves every hour or so. He went into the hide last night and came out this morning when I turned his light on but overall he is not moving much at all. I just purchased him yesterday, is this abnormal behavior for a new skink?
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: New baby acting weird

Postby kayla990 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:51 am

As you've only just purchased them; it's not uncommon for them to be hesitant in new surroundings (in time they should build up confidence to still walk around even when being watched). Otherwise, I would check your ambient temperature and temperature directly in the substrate; in case they are sluggish from being cold - with the possibility of being too shy to bask to warm up.

If you're able to attach a picture of your Bluey, we should be able to give an ID for them :)
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”