Ok, Worried Mom Question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Meeesh
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Ok, Worried Mom Question

Postby Meeesh » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:06 pm

So... I just rearranged his tank using two plastic/resin extra large hides literally Friday night. I washed it in vet grade disenfectant in hot water then rinsed before placing in his enclosure. I noticed that the smell of plastic overnight was strong in the heat, but it has since gotten a lot better.

So, that's back story.

He has been hiding and running away from the sight of me today like his first few weeks here, and I haven't held him except for right now. I grabbed him after he ran into the hide and hissed at me. He was very upset I bothered him, but I wanted to offer food and reinforce holding and not stop trying to grab him just because he hissed. WELL. I don't know if he was just really upset and swallowed some substrate, but he was breathing hard, sort of hiccuping, breathing with mouth sort of open and clicking/whistling when he breathed heavily. This is the VERY first time he has every acted this way, and he was treated for infection on his tail several weeks ago with antibiotics and he did not have any sign of RI or issue.

I'm kind of freaking out. Is this a sudden RI because of the plastic smell or did I upset him so much he began to, as my vet said his BTS does, salivate and get upset? He did not accept the superworm, pooped and peed on me, which is fine, but he was like...heaving like a hiccup or clearing his throat. I thought he was going to vomit his food up, but he didn't.

Ugh, I hope I didnt fork up somewhere. He's gotten so big and strong.

I guess I'll try to grab him tomorrow and see if he's sounding the same way, it just really freaked me out. Does this sound like an RI due to the plastic smell or just a VERY upset BTS?
Meeesh
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Ok, Worried Mom Question

Postby Meeesh » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:05 pm

Lol I picked him up. He's not wheezing now, just hissy. He must have been mad or had substrate in his mouth...

I feel dumb.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”