Questions about breeding

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
FabulousOsprey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Questions about breeding

Postby FabulousOsprey » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:51 pm

So this will be my first year breeding and so far it's been weird. I was prepared in case anything happened based on previous research and horror stories but I'm already having trouble in unexpected ways. My known 5yr old male and 4 yr old female paired beautifully they danced like they were supposed to and when the male lifted her tail I thought everything was good.... Except instead of a popping and finishing for the male there was a spurt of blood that stopped immediately after and he's acting normal except for the usual extra activity for mating season? This happened 2 days ago and he's already acting like he wants another go. I'm confused because the females feet didn't move anywhere near his sensitive parts and the blood stopped immediately instead of continuing as he got his parts back into place so I'm not sure if he nicked himself or what any ideas? He's on towels for the moment and hes gone to the bathroom like normal so far and I haven't seen any more blood and it doesn't look like there's any swelling when I gently lift his tail. As far as I know this is the first time he has attempted to breed. Another question about 2yr old probable female, she is flighty on a normal basis but when seeing another skink through a barrier she sidles up her back in a defensive move to make herself seem bigger and tries to get to the other skink so I'm not comfortable putting her anywhere near anyone else unless she seems receptive but I wonder if she is scared of the others or if she's just not ready yet after bruminating? Thanks so much to anyone who responds!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Questions about breeding

Postby mb606587 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:22 am

It sounds as if the hemipene was nicked in some way. A common occurrence. You may want to give this skink a few weeks off. Not uncommon for females to sometimes be aggressive towards males. I've seen some keepers use snake hooks to redirect the female. Also your probable female may be male.
FabulousOsprey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Questions about breeding

Postby FabulousOsprey » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:36 am

I was afraid that might be the case but I hadn't seen her feet anywhere near him so I wasn't sure if there might have been another reason. My other one was sold to me as a probable female so I was really hoping but I guess I might have a male on my hands instead. Thank you!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”