Hide box size?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Fossil
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Hide box size?

Postby Fossil » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:49 pm

Howdy

I'm changing up my northern blue tongue's tank and ordered an 10x8" hide box, but I don't know if I should order a larger size. Are skinks similar to ball pythons where they enjoy 'snug' spaces? if so I could just cut a larger entrance hole in the box I currently have, but if they would prefer a larger space, I have no problem returning this hide and ordering the large size, which is 13x9".

Here is him sitting in the upsidedown hide box.
He is currently 2 years old and 21" long so I don't expect him to get too much larger than this.
IMG_6554.JPG

IMG_6553.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0.0.1 Northern Bluey (Raptor)
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Hide box size?

Postby splashy07 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:54 pm

I use 13 x 9's for all of mine. Some of my large northerns seem even too big for those but they manage to get in there, and seem to like the close quarters.
Fossil
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Fossil » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:06 pm

splashy07 wrote:I use 13 x 9's for all of mine. Some of my large northerns seem even too big for those but they manage to get in there, and seem to like the close quarters.

Thanks for your input. I was leaning towards the 13x9 but I don't have enough experience with blueys to know if that is a better size or not. Mine seems somewhat small for his age but I do feel better knowing if he grows a few inches he will still have the extra room when I get the larger size.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:52 am

Jumbo sized Hubba Huts for my adult easterns.
Fossil
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Fossil » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:24 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Jumbo sized Hubba Huts for my adult easterns.

I already have a fairly large hubba hut for my skink, and was more so looking for a box to make into a new humid hide. However, I'll be sure to keep that size in mind if he outgrows his current one, thank you for the recommendation.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”