Baby skink won't eat

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Baby skink won't eat

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:58 pm

I have had this 1 month old for 1 week. He ate well the first 3 days but is now on his 6th day of not eating. when I first got him I noticed his lip looked like he had an abscess however the next day it was almost gone and then it turned into a dark scab which is still there.
His fist few days he didn't hide at all but now he does not want to be bothered and when I take him out to offer him food he is very resistant. I have tried all sorts of food and he will not eat. Cat food, dog food, boiled chicken gizzards blended, blended boiled egg, worms, banana. he will not even open his mouth. he falls asleep in front of the food or walks away.
The cage humidity is 80-90 and temp is around 35.
substrate is cocopeat.
We live in Indonesia and I do not know of any reptile vets.
he is supposed to be a captive bred merauke but I am not sure if that is true.

Is there anything I can do to help this little guy? Is it possible to treat him for potential parasites without seeing a vet?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Baby skink won't eat

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:19 pm

here are some photos from just now. the issue on his mouth is looking swollen again. this must be why he is not eating. I will put betadine on it but it looks like the real issue is inside his mouth and I am not sure putting betadine on this spot is going to do anything. I cant see inside his mouth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:40 pm

here is a photo taken after cleaning. I used a q-tip/cotton bud dipped in betadine and gently cleaned it and I am quite sure a piece of his lip came off with it. I also think it was black because he had cocopeat stuck in it. Is this mouth rot? it does not seem to fit the description - it seems quite dry.
the seller sent me a video just before shipping and his lips looked fine but when he arrived we noticed his lip was swollen. What is this and how else can I treat it?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:12 am

At this point, try to get him to any vet. The discoloration and swelling is concerning. As I stated in a previous post, some of the topical solutions found over the counter have varying degrees of success in treating these issues. Oftentimes antibiotics are necessary.
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:27 am

Today I found a vet that will see reptiles! however, he is off work sick, so hoping he is back at work tomorrow and my little guy can hang on until we can get him the medicine and help he needs.
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:02 pm

had some tests done from a mouth swap and also feces (I was very surprised he had any after not eating for so long). no parasites found but his mouth had an abundance of bacteria, and the vet said it was more than the normal reptile mouth bacteria.
he has been given diluted enrofloxacin - 0.1 ml per day. the vet also suggested I give it mustard to encourage it to eat. has anyone heard of that before?
I have been putting honey on his mouth and he licks that off but other than that he will not eat anything so far.
Hopefully he can recover.
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Yeshika » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:19 pm

http://retailaustralia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/291187.jpg

try some baby food? If honey works this might be another thing to try
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:37 am

no he wont eat baby food either.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:39 am

try some raw egg
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:42 am

great idea thanks, will try that in the morning. I see him drinking water so that is good.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:09 am

Good luck. They seldom refuse that, sick or not. Mix it up well and let it get to room temp. You can even add supplements to it.
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:15 pm

sadly he will not eat egg either....
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:58 pm

If your baby won't eat, you may need to start force feeding carnivore care. Talk to your vet about it. Antibiotics also can make them feel punky. So he may not want to eat. He needs to eat. Force feeding may be your only option.
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:20 am

today he licked some baby food for awhile. When he opened his mouth I put in a little spoon with baby food and he bit down on it so he got some in his mouth. That is a big improvement from the week where he refused to open his mouth and just let the food sit on his face.
Today I bought some herbal vitamins for skinks that are supposed to increase appitite- that is all I can find for skink care. Hopefully he keeps improving.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:13 am

So glad you managed to find a vet! Fingers crossed he'll continue to make progress! Keep us updated :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:35 am

he is getting worse. He has 2 more days of antibiotics. He is very sickly looking, will not eat. I put food in his mouth and it just sits in his mouth, he wont swallow. he does not move, just sleeps. I don't know what else to do for the little guy. I fear he wont make the night. very sad to see him look so bad.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:51 am

I am very sorry you are going through this. I would highly recommend getting him back into your vet to see if there is anything else they can do to help. Good luck. Prayers
Jay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:12 am

thank you. I am reluctant to go back to the vet because even though she is the exotic pet vet I was not confident that she knew much more than me. I bought some f10 spray from a store that sells geckos and snakes and was told to spray it on his mouth wound. Is that safe ? His face looks really bad, scales are shedding off his chin but he doesn't seem to be shedding anywhere else.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”