Increasing temperatures in BTS Tank

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Megz
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Increasing temperatures in BTS Tank

Postby Megz » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:30 am

Hi everyone,

So just as some background, I converted a 50 gallon aquarium into a terrarium for my BTS Gizmo. I currently have deep dome heat lamp and a UVB tube but that's all I have so far for heating. Daytime temperatures are: basking spot of about 90, hot side is about 83-86, but the cold side is about 69-71. Middle space between the two sides is about 73-75. I know this lower temperature is good for night but i just worry about it for the day.

The options I thought of:

1. Get a second deep dome? Thought I'm not sure if that will help the overall temperature or just make another basking spot.

2. The terrarium does have a UTH fitted underneath (as before my BTS i had my python in there), but i dont use it as my BTS loves to burrow and I'm worried he will get hurt if he digs down and sits on the glass. I do have a thermostat to control it so I could set it to a fixed temperature that's lower and safe, but I still worry if hit sits on it for a long time that he might burn. Any thoughts?

3. My next thought was to 'raise' everything up closer towards the lamp. I tried increasing the amount of shavings but with the burrowing he is still that much farther away. So i thought about putting something in as a raised 'fake bottom.' I don't want to use wood because i know what you mean worried with the humidity it will rot and it would be hard to clean. I had thought about styrofoam but im worried he might eat it. Then i thought about a plastic or glass shelf/bin but i dont know if there are any products like that for terrariums that can support the weight and heat.

Trust me i know this is random but does anyone have any thoughts, know any products, or have any suggestions in order to raise the temperatures?

splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Increasing temperatures in BTS Tank

Postby splashy07 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:39 am

A UTH on a reliable thermostat will not overheat. I do not use UTHs but some do.
A higher basking platform, such as a hide cave with a flat top bringing basking area closer to lamp.
A higher wattage bulb may just solve all. Just make sure your fixture is appropriately rated.
Megz
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Megz » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:54 am

splashy07 wrote:A UTH on a reliable thermostat will not overheat. I do not use UTHs but some do.
A higher basking platform, such as a hide cave with a flat top bringing basking area closer to lamp.
A higher wattage bulb may just solve all. Just make sure your fixture is appropriately rated.

Thank you for the suggestions. With regards to the basking spot, is a warming basking spot enough to compensate for the rest of the tank being cooler? I know they regulate there own temperatures so i suppose if he's cold he would just go back in the heat but you know Mom's, we always worry :P
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Yes, we do worry. As long as they have a hot basking spot the temps in the rest of the cage do not matter (within reason). The more of a gradient you provide, the more natural it is for the animal.
Megz
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Megz » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:12 am

splashy07 wrote:Yes, we do worry. As long as they have a hot basking spot the temps in the rest of the cage do not matter (within reason). The more of a gradient you provide, the more natural it is for the animal.

Thanks very much this was very helpful :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”