Wound care until I can get to a Vet?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ototoxin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Wound care until I can get to a Vet?

Postby ototoxin » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:56 pm

so, my bluey fell off my lap (i wasnt paying attention, 100% my fault for trying to game AND hold him) and landed weird right on the edge of a shelf, and ripped out 3 scales. i dont have any reptile safe antiseptics that i know of, and wont be able to get a vet for a few days
what else can i do until the vet? im about to strip & clean his tank and replace the substrate with paper towels so the wound doesnt get dirty
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Wound care until I can get to a Vet?

Postby mb606587 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:26 pm

You can swab with betadine solution to disinfect and help prevent any bacterial infections. Assuming the wound is superficial, a trip to the vet probably isn't necessary. Females often receive similar wounds to scales during mating. However, post a photo of the wound if you can just to make sure it is only minor.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:50 pm

Betadine or even chorhexidine wipes will work. I agree if the wound is superficial it should heal on its own and doesn't probably need a vet visit. Post a picture will help.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:44 am

I use peroxide. Everyone's got that around, and it works. Have never had an issue using on a reptile, even in a snake's mouth when he had an issue.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”