First Bluey Shedding

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
LoneBridger
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

First Bluey Shedding

Postby LoneBridger » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 am

How should I handle a shedding Halmahera Blue tongue? Is it as simple as other reptiles or is there a method for easy removal around the feet? Will this be a simple shed? Or am I in for a couple days of monitoring?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: First Bluey Shedding

Postby mb606587 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:18 am

As long as your humidity is appropriate, let it shed on its own. The process may take two or even three days and the skin comes off in patches, not all at once. If you notice shed accumulating around the toes, soaking in luke warm water helps loosen the skin. Do not try to tug at any skin that does not readily flake right off. As you mentioned, the toes are an area you want to pay particular attention to.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:18 am

First of all, the Halmahera locale requires very high humidity, and if these needs are met there are seldom issues. 80 percent or better is optimal. A humid hide and a large water bowl helps. If problems persist a warm soaking can't hurt.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:22 am

Humid hide is an excellent suggestion.
LoneBridger
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby LoneBridger » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:53 am

I have the humidity pretty high most of the time with this boy. As per a humid hide, I don’t really have one unless I order online. The substrate is deep and moist but not soaked but I’ll invest in one
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:18 pm

LoneBridger wrote:I have the humidity pretty high most of the time with this boy. As per a humid hide, I don’t really have one unless I order online. The substrate is deep and moist but not soaked but I’ll invest in one

A small suitable sized plastic food tub with a lid , cut a suitable sized hole in one end to allow the skink to crawl in , fill with suitable very damp bedding material , so 5 minutes work and maybe $5 at the local mall to buy the tub , and wollah !!!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”