Animal Plastics

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Cyberlizard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Animal Plastics

Postby Cyberlizard » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:58 am

Hey!
I have been thinking of ordering my girl a tank upgrade because shes definitely outgrown her exo terra tank. Although the wait times are insane (18 weeks), I am pretty set on getting an animal plastics tank, specifically the T10. Does anyone have any experience with the white versions of these? It seems like just about everyone gets the black ones, I was thinking about getting white just cause it would go better with the stuff in Rosie's room, however do you think the bright white color would stress her out too much? I may be over thinking this :doh:

Also if anyone does have the white version have they had any issues with staining? I know boaphile cages that are white stain, but I read that they are made of a different type of PVC, so I wasn't sure if animal plastics cages also stained.
raisinjelly
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Animal Plastics

Postby raisinjelly » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:55 pm

I only own black ones myself, but I've seen the white in person and they look great too. I don't imagine it would stress your skink out; before I moved mine to the AP one, he was in a wooden cage that was painted white and it didn't appear to stress him out at all. It makes the inside look brighter and cheerier IMO. The only reason I didn't go with white AP myself was because the UVB fixtures I prefer to use only come in black and I wanted it to match haha.

If you don't get a reply from someone here about staining, you could always call or e-mail the company. They can be flaky with e-mail but the woman who handles their calls is super friendly.
Cyberlizard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Cyberlizard » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:49 pm

Thanks for the response! Are you overall pretty happy with your tanks? I got the T10 with the acrylic door options, so hopefully those turn out okay. I also asked for two of the 20x12 cut outs on top so I could have more room for fixtures. DO you feel that the tank allows for deep enough substrate without it all falling out every time you open it?

Such a long wait time gives you too much time to think about if you picked the best options haha!
raisinjelly
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby raisinjelly » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:34 pm

Sure no problem :)

I'm pretty happy with them so far, but I've only used them for about a month. The only thing I don't particularly like is that substrate often gets caught in the tracks with the sliding doors. The default height of the substrate barrier isn't bad but it's not great either. I have the bedding so it's shallower in front and gets deeper toward the back, and it's deep enough that my skink can burrow out of sight.

AP can be pretty customizable though and you can make a special order for a higher substrate barrier for a bit of extra cost. That's what I just did with a cage I ordered for my salamander. If you've already ordered the cage but would rather do that, you could call and ask to have that changed.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:08 am

Hi! I own 8 of their cages, all black. Two of them replaced white PVC I had from another manufacturer
(given to me by a friend, not really my personal choice). The white cages, besides the staining issue were also way too bright and my lizards hid a lot. I think they were more suitable for bearded dragons, so I passed on to a dragon owner who was thrilled with them. I'd go with the black. White plastic tends to yellow in time, stains, and I find it way too bright for the BTs. Just my own personal opinion from experience with them.
Cyberlizard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Cyberlizard » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:15 pm

I went ahead and asked the color to be switched from white to black. Although it wont look as nice in the room shes in, her comfort is much more important haha. Do you by chance know how much they charge extra to increase the substrate barrier? I wonder if I get it and it really starts to irk me if I could just glue an acrylic sheet along the bottom to fix it if its a cheaper solution. How tall even is the substrate barrier? Its so hard to tell in the videos ive seen online :lol:
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:02 am

I know, the substrate barrier could be higher, it's only a few inches but I imagine you could modify yourself.
vana
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby vana » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:31 am

I have one. I like the white better, because it does not look so dark and dreary inside.

My skink does not hide all the time.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”