Can somebody PLEASE help me : (

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
RushDrag
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Can somebody PLEASE help me : (

Postby RushDrag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:11 pm

I got my first BTS today, i noticed on the car ride home he was breathing heavy. But when i got home and setup his tank he went straight to his water bowl, he drank but he began to sneeze over and over, about 10 times. ive also noticed a slight wheeze when i interact with him, im super worried that this could be a RI, I feel so bad for him.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Can somebody PLEASE help me : (

Postby mb606587 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:57 pm

Huffing is fairly normal and something I would expect a Blue Tongue to do on the car ride home. As to its wheezing, it's difficult to diagnose an illness via computer. The truth is that many of the BTS purchased at pet shops and expos are wild caught Indonesian species. If this is the case for you, it's recommended to take your skink to a vet if you are inexperienced for a general check up and fecal exam. Symptoms of an RI include open mouth breathing, wheezing, sunken dull eyes, and mucousy discharge from the nose and mouth.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:54 am

Agree with mb606587. Would you be able to provide an image of your BTS? As it could give an opportunity to ID your Bluey for correct humidity conditions (often the main cause for RI's). Sadly, many stores/sellers keep them in the wrong environment or mislabel the subspecies.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
RushDrag
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby RushDrag » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:40 am

kayla990 wrote:Agree with mb606587. Would you be able to provide an image of your BTS? As it could give an opportunity to ID your Bluey for correct humidity conditions (often the main cause for RI's). Sadly, many stores/sellers keep them in the wrong environment or mislabel the subspecies.

She is an axanthic halamahera i know the humidity should be 80% ive noticed today that the sneezing begins after she drinks, is this normal? she has been breathing through her nose and huffing at me but the sneezing is my main concern
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:06 am

Sneezing on its own is probably nothing. They all do it from time to time. Not sure why he does it only after he drinks. I'd expect him to huff at you too. As I stated, he's surely wild caught and that's just a natural reaction. If you start noticing any of the other signs however, get him to a vet ASAP. RI's, bacterial infections, and internal parasites are the big three things you want to watch out for with imports so become familiar with the warning signs of each this way if you begin seeing the symptoms in the future, you're ready to seek treatment.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”