First time owner!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Leousluna
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

First time owner!

Postby Leousluna » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:35 pm

Hi there,

I have just adopted a blue tongue lizard from a family member who has neglected him for the last few years (no uvb light, no natural light, just lived under the house in a outside laundry area, just lizard pellets for food, no handling etc) so the lizard is very scared and just hisses everytime he hears me open the cage. I’ve redone his cage and the last week we’ve had him he’s starting to come out of his rock and explore which is good. I’ve been doing lots of research on what to feed, correct temperatures for him etc and he’s been eating lots but today he’s done his first poo and I’m not sure if it’s a good poo or if i need to take him to the vet? Could someone please tell me from the photo attached and also how do I go about handling him? Am I best to just let him get use to his new environment with the noises etc being picking him up? I’m scared he’ll bite me.
Thank you!!! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: First time owner!

Postby mb606587 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:21 pm

I would leave him be for some time. A new diet may be the cause for an abnormal poop. Take it slow and let him acclimate before beginning handling. These skinks are extremely hardy and tend to bounce back, even when kept in the worst conditions.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”