Upgrading enclosure, which size should I get?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ThePrairieNerd
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Upgrading enclosure, which size should I get?

Postby ThePrairieNerd » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:43 pm

The skink child is needing a bigger enclosure and I’ve had my eye on two. One is 5x2x2’ and the other is 4x2x2’ but is set up to allow for deeper substrate.

What do you all think would be better in the long run? More room to run around or more room to dig?

Thanks!
Janella
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Upgrading enclosure, which size should I get?

Postby Janella » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:12 pm

The more floor space the better. Both tanks will work though.
Suzle87
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Suzle87 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:29 am

ThePrairieNerd wrote:The skink child is needing a bigger enclosure and I’ve had my eye on two. One is 5x2x2’ and the other is 4x2x2’ but is set up to allow for deeper substrate.

What do you all think would be better in the long run? More room to run around or more room to dig?

Thanks!

what 5x2x2 have you seen? been looking for a bit bigger one myself so that would be ideal if you can post a link if its online? thanks
ThePrairieNerd
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ThePrairieNerd » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:02 pm

I ended up getting the 5x2x2. It’s HUGE but I think it’s totally worth it. I think the skink child will get a lot of use out of it.

I got this one from Reptile Kages:

https://reptilekages.com/collections/te ... -enclosure

It was pretty easy to put together (I do recommend having at least one other person to help you at least at first because the pieces are very large) and everything so far is really sturdy and high quality.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:17 am

I like those cages, I have two. The good thing is you can custom order. I had one made for one of my Shinglebacks and they added top screen cutouts for me. Only issue I have is the plexi doors. He scratched the heck out of the plexiglass. Would prefer glass, but other than that I like the cages. The other holds a Northern, she seems to be happy in there. But also, the scratching on the plexi when in season dulls it. If I were only to have one, this would be the choice! Well made, easy to assemble and custom sizing. Doesn't get much better.
Suzle87
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Suzle87 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:26 am

They look awesome! I’ve emailed them to see if there’s any suppliers of them/ way to get them in the uk.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:37 am

My absolute favorite manufacturer is API, but they do not offer custom sizing. And it takes FOREVER to get them, if you do not order a 'quick-ship' item.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”