Breeding Tiliqua Gigas

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
jaakam96
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Breeding Tiliqua Gigas

Postby jaakam96 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:27 pm

Hi!
Since there was not that much information about this online, I was wondering about the necessity of temperature reduction to breed BTS of the Gigas kind. Have people successfully bred them, by only turning off heating devices and keeping them at room temperature as well as reducing food and light intake. Was not really planning to breed mine anytime soon but was a bit curious. (Might try it in the future if I have enough courage and will by then do ample amounts of more research to not put my babies in danger)
Thanks in advance!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Breeding Tiliqua Gigas

Postby mb606587 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:35 pm

The Gigas species of skinks come from a tropical climate where it is hot and humid year round. Those that have had sucess breeding them typically do not lower temperatures to induce brumation as most do when breeding Northerns. The slight drop in natural ambient temperatures during the change of seasons is usually enough to trigger breeding behaviors.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”