Shed moods

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Shed moods

Postby Suzle87 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:17 am

Just curious firstly how often your BTs shed when 1year 10 months? And secondly how long before a shed does your skink get moody? And how moody? Ventress seems to have 10 to 14 days prior to shedding hiding a lot and just being generally miserable - hardly eating, not going to the toilet much at all etc. And generally being antisocial. He’s fine after he sheds and turns back to his lovely inquisitive self. But he currently sheds every 6 weeks so... it’s a lot of moodyness!
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Shed moods

Postby kayla990 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:47 am

As our guys are a similar age, I can say that we're still experiencing similar shedding times of ~6 weeks (as typing this, I'm filming a time-lapse of him rubbing on items during the final shedding stage!).

Ours seems to go off food a week before the shed and only take small nibbles (if any) during that time. Generally doesn't seem to loose curiosity or be too much of a grump until around 2-3 days before the shed - where he'll stay underground/in the cave for 1 or 2 days (will be huffy/hissy if I try to dig him out - but quite sure 'it's all bark, no bite' thing going on).

In general, apart from that 1-2 day staying underground doesn't seem to be too moody - still explores the tank and is curious. However, during this time I also don't take him out the tank too much; maybe why he doesn't seem as grumpy! I'm more likely to try to pet him when he's still in the tank or just give him unusual items to play with/explore during shedding moods.

From what I can tell - seems normal for them to be grumps prior shedding :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
smosroka
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby smosroka » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:31 am

Salami is 1 year 4 months and it's down to a shed every 5-6 weeks, will usually get more grumpy/skittish for about a week before that, it will poop very little and lose apetite a bit though it will still polish off treats. It's usually very unbothered by us passing by the cage, either slowly, pointedly turns in or continues to skink around as usual, but when it's pre-shed time it starts to hang out the entire day in the warm hide and rapidly vanish in it if partially out but it doesn't like the way you approach. Even the treats will coax it out maybe halfway through then it snatches the food and drags it into the hide to consume there. Lots of unimpressed huffing when poked or puffed a breath on.

The last couple of days before the Event it will be in the warm hide all day and then late at night, way after bed time, I might hear heavy rustling sounds and find it plowed itself into the substrate under the cold hide for the night :lol:
shimaza1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby shimaza1 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:43 am

George is only 5 months, so he's still shedding every ~3 weeks. He does get grumpy for about a week before he sheds. He doesn't come out to bask or explore much, and he spends all day poking his head out of the warm hide looking irritated. His pooping does decrease a bit, but he still eats if I offer him food. He is, if nothing else, an amazing eater. When he gets closer to actually shedding, he does like to dig/burrow around the substrate. He emerges and goes back to his gregarious self when the shed starts coming off.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:42 pm

Noodles will get moody about a week to two weeks before he is about to shed. He also goes off food a d hides alot. After he is a big sweet heart.
Angcious
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Angcious » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:17 pm

My oldest will go into his house for 3-7 days, when he's got his dusty colors on. He has a look on his face like he feels sick and he doesn't even really want me to be bother him...total opposite from the momma's boy he normally is. My middle one is normally on the go and into everything, but she'll get quiet and just wants to curl up and sleep it off. The baby, who just turned a year, is about every 6 weeks like yours. She just started getting affected by the sheds and has even gotten cage aggressive with me the last time she shed! She laid around with a totally annoyed look to her face about a week before. She's my greeter normally, the most active about clawing at and trying to climb her cage door when I walk into the room, but a week before shed, she doesn't do that and I miss it!
All 3 of mine never lost their appetites though - ever in their lives lol. All 3 are right back to normal personalities immediately after the shed. My oldest gets the happiest afterwards, seems to walk around strutting his stuff like he knows he's so shiny and beautiful again...or maybe he's just that happy to be done and over with the whole thing
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:08 pm

Thanks so much to everyone for commenting.
Sounds like he’s pretty much normal when it comes to his shedding melodramatics then. It’s such a shame for them bless them, they must really feel off in the run up to shedding for it to effect them so badly!
smosroka
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby smosroka » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:25 am

Maybe it itches? it seems like something that would itch
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:52 pm

smosroka wrote:Maybe it itches? it seems like something that would itch

Yeh it must do and maybe takes a lot of energy in the build up so they feel rundown maybe?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:15 am

I'm sure it takes a lot out of them, but some of mine show no indications at all. They'll eat through the entire period. I've got a few that I don't even know when their cycle is approaching as they are very light colored and show no signs of moodiness or seclusion. Others will go down for two weeks. From what I've seen it varies between individuals, but I'd say the norm is a two week downtime.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”