New rescue, possible mbd? [updated]

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
HsinVega
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New rescue, possible mbd? [updated]

Postby HsinVega » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:28 am

Hello everyone! I've recently got a BTS rescue and it's my first, tho i've been keeping 2 leopard geckos for 3 years now so not really new to the hobby :D
However this new pancake seems to have his fingers in really bad shape and the earliest i could schedule a vet appointment is at the end of next month so i wanted to ask some suggestion on how to make it better or at least not worse!
At the moment i keep him on coconut fiber, have 2 hides, a water dish where he can soak, a calcium dish and use another dish to feed. I've got him for a couple of days so i've only fed him once but plan on using the following to feed: locusts, snails, mealworms, apples, peaches, bananas, carrots, pumpkins and collard greens, also occasionally scrambled eggs. Temps are about 85F/29C on warm side and 68F/20C on cold side.

ImageImage bad finger pics below :<

ImageImageImageImage
As you can see he misses most of his fingers and some of them are curled upwards :< I've put a full calcium dish in his tank to hope it doesnt get worse but... should i do anything else?
Last edited by HsinVega on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: New rescue, possible mbd?

Postby splashy07 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:48 am

Does not look like MBD, but possible humidity deprivation caused stuck shed on toes, and overgrown toenails.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: New rescue, possible mbd?

Postby Janella » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:57 pm

I agree I don't think it is MBD. Definitely looks like a poor humidity issue with stuck shed. I would recommend warm water soaks for the stuck shed and humid hides. I would have the skink looked at by a vet soon for its toes/shed issues. You don't want them to get any worse.
I also would recommend not using mealworms, they have like zero nutrition. Remember they need about 50% protein source (dog food, snails, ground lean turkey, chicken gizzards/hearts, eggs, insects), 40% veggies (dark leafy greens (collard, mustard, dandelion, turnip, bok choy), squash's, cactus pads, sweet potatoes, carrot, zucchini, etc and only 10% fruit. Please refer to the forums feeding chart if needed.

Let us know how it goes.
HsinVega
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

[update] New rescue, possible mbd?

Postby HsinVega » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:30 pm

So I managed to get an earlier appointment and the vet said he looked good albeit his feetsie, the person who had it before most likely had a very bad and small setup cos his feets are atrophic (also probably cohab cos he misses a couple scales).
He just go out of his shed and I gave him a 10 min soak to make sure he had no stuck shed on his feets but I didn't see any shed anywhere so he'd been a good boy.
The vet said proper lamps will make it better and hopefully even fix totally his toes.
So thanks for the replies in this trying times :D
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: New rescue, possible mbd? [updated]

Postby Janella » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:16 pm

Glad you got him to the vet. Prayers he recovers soon and does just fine with you. Good luck
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: New rescue, possible mbd? [updated]

Postby mb606587 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:45 pm

Pretty common issue with the Irian Jaya skinks which you now have although they are hardy so he should be fine when provided with the proper humidity between 60%-80%. My IJ is missing several toes also due to low humidity and inappropriate substrate that I provided to her when I was a kid and didn't know any better. Your temperatures on both the cool and basking areas could use a bump. Try to get your basking spot to around 100 degrees and cool area over 75 degrees.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”