New house, Temp concerns

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
JPThomas
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New house, Temp concerns

Postby JPThomas » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:49 pm

Hey all,

I have recently moved house and just set up my easterns enclosure, I have been monitoring temps as he is set up right by a North facing window and a West facing window, he gets sun most of the afternoon due to this, the hottest temps I measured were 40 degrees Celsius on the hot side and 28 on the cold, I opened a window and these dropped to 38 and 25, it is just coming into spring here so the summer will be warmer, I'm concerned it could be too hot come summer, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The house is small so I can't really set him up anywhere else, he has deep substrate so can burrow and it's a bit cooler down there, the enclosure has a mesh top and a mesh side so I could have the window open to let a draft through on hot days.

I know the enclosure isn't big enough, I'm in the process of getting a new one at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: New house, Temp concerns

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:32 am

North facing window ( in NZ ) is not a good location for a glass tank, think greenhouse.
Will get too hot when the sun is streaming in through the window, I suggest moving the tank so it's never direct sunlight.
or
Ensuring the curtains are always drawn so direct sunlight never enters the tank.
MaddyKay99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby MaddyKay99 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:34 pm

You could also get a background or just put paper/cardboard on the back and sides of the enclosure in order to keep the sunlight out. It may help your skink feel a little bit safer as well especially when I'm sure it is stressed after your move
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Yeshika » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:34 am

I'd definitely recommend moving him away from there. Last summer was stinking hot, and my bluey was feeling the heat, even away from a window.
The curtains might have to stay shut in that room until yours can be moved. Please don't let him over heat, it is a terrible thing to see an animal go through.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”