Outside time

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
shimaza1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Outside time

Postby shimaza1 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:11 pm

My baby has been growing quickly, and recently he has really started enjoying exploring our skink-proofed spare bedroom or just hanging out with me at the dining room table.

My question: how long should he be out of his cage? My house is roughly 75-80 degrees depending on the time of day. How concerned should I be that he can't properly thermoregulate while he's out of the cage? What signs of stress should I be looking for? Am I just overthinking it?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Outside time

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:38 pm

26 degC is fine , even better if he can access a low to the floor window ( to get sunlight - yes I know the sun through a window wont provide any UV ) , or a sunny screen door .

I set up a MVB hung under a Komodo adjustable lampstand in the room for my bearded dragon or eastern bluetongue skink ( I have 2 of each ) that come out one of each species at a time , and are often out for up to 2 hours to free range in the kitchen , dining/living area, lounge and hallway .
My dragons and skinks will simply go to the full height window and watch the world and birds and wild lizards outside once they've done their usual patrol , especially if it's a sunny afternoon, or they'll head for one us for a snuggle or the MVB or their tanks when they are ready for a recharge.

If your back yard or garden is safe ( no weedicides or pesticides sprayed by you or your neighbours, no snail baiting, no free roaming cats or dogs about and you can supervise , taking your skink outside to freerange in the garden while you are pottering about/ weeding / digging or to explore on the lawn is OK if it's warm and sunny outside and you keep a very close eye on proceedings and never leave the skink along or take your eyes of it.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
shimaza1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby shimaza1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:40 am

Unfortunately, we don't have any windows that get great midday or afternoon sun, which is just as well, since they're all high up anyway. Maybe I can get one of those cat bed/perch things that go on window sills. I placed him on a window sill, after reading your comment, to see if he would like it, and he immediately started to climb the screen, so maybe I'll keep him away from windows until he's older.

I plan on taking him out for regular outdoor time next summer. He's growing quickly, but I'm still nervous about him being outside even under close supervision.

For now, I think I'll invest in a lamp that I can put on the floor for him to bask under.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:00 am

Personally, I am not a fan of letting your skink roam outdoors unless a pre-determined space or pen made for them (screen covered to keep other critters out).
Skinks like to sample everything to see if it is edible, especially when young. There are just too many dangers outside, this is not their country (where they would know what to eat). A poisoned insect from a neighbor's yard, a naturally toxic native insect, a feral cat lurking in the bushes to name a few perils. I simply would not do it unless I had something built especially for them, but I know many people do let them outside. This is just my own personal opinion. I value my pets way too much to risk something that would be entirely my own fault.
shimaza1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby shimaza1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:13 am

I totally get what you're saying. I wouldn't let my dude free roam in the yard since there are just too many variables out there that are out of my control. What are your thoughts on harnessing the skink and just hanging out on the patio or porch? There's a lot less surprises on the cement in terms of bugs and plants.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:14 am

splashy07 wrote:Personally, I am not a fan of letting your skink roam outdoors unless a pre-determined space or pen made for them (screen covered to keep other critters out).
Skinks like to sample everything to see if it is edible, especially when young. There are just too many dangers outside, this is not their country (where they would know what to eat). A poisoned insect from a neighbor's yard, a naturally toxic native insect, a feral cat lurking in the bushes to name a few perils. I simply would not do it unless I had something built especially for them, but I know many people do let them outside. This is just my own personal opinion. I value my pets way too much to risk something that would be entirely my own fault.

Yep , I've read elsewhere recently of a dragon snagging and eating aa firefly in the USA , only very prompt action by the keeper saved it's life ( activated carbon, vet er visit).

I don't let my pet bts or bearded dragons outside because there are too many dogs and cats about , and I'm scared a magpie, crow , wedgetail or sea-eagle , or a Kookaburra will swoop down and take them and I'm pretty sure next door are very free and easy with herbicides and pesticides and sometimes even spray slyly over the boundary fence .
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
shimaza1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby shimaza1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:06 am

This makes me not want to take George outside at all. Although we don't have the fauna that you all in Australia do, my neighbor's bird feeder attracts hawks, and the squirrels are fearless and feisty. As for herbicides/pesticides, we don't use any, but I can't be sure what the neighbors are doing. Maybe he'll just get some very closely supervised porch time, instead.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:44 am

Good idea. There are many toxic bugs here in the states, and I really wouldn't want my skinks sampling any. And another thing, they don't like anything reaching down at them, and may get spooked when you go to pick him up and run for it or give you a nice bite. They act quite differently when outside.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 pm

Take it from personal experience...don't let your skinks outside unless you have a complete screened in enclosure or you hold them the entire time. As previously mentioned, there is alot of things that spook them when outside. Also they can become lightening fast and escape quicker then we give them credit for.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:44 am

And absolutely no harnessing. It would be like harnessing a snake. They will get loose or injure themselves trying.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:58 am

Yes, I couldn't agree more with you... harnesses don't work!
shimaza1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby shimaza1 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:23 am

Thanks for the input, everyone!

I'll avoid outdoor excursions unless I'm holding him at all times, and give him indoor out of the cage time with a heat source instead.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”