Suitable dog/cat/baby food in UK

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
EverydayThor
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Suitable dog/cat/baby food in UK

Postby EverydayThor » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:56 am

Hi everybody!

Soon I'll be a real part of the BTS community by getting one of my own :)
I'm currently researching food options but as most of you will know, many of the recommended cat/dog food brands are not available in the UK. I could not find a recent thread about this so I wanted to ask for recommendations for any kind of cat and dog food that is particularly suitable for BTS (grain-free etc). Also, baby food recommendations to provide enough veg and fruit variety are welcome :)
Are there any things that should definitely NOT be in the food (like seafood, fish, too many starchy filler items - or the poisonous ingredients from the food chart (onion, rhubarb, avocado))?

Thank you so much for your help already!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Suitable dog/cat/baby food in UK

Postby mb606587 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:16 am

Most people go with grain free dog foods. It's not that the grains are inherently harmful to them, as many do feed brands that aren't grain free, but the grain free dog foods usually have larger quantities of more quality ingredients as opposed to cheap fillers. Not sure how much of a myth the whole fish is bad for them argument is but I err on the side of caution and refrain from feeding it myself. Some of the dog foods I've fed in the past contained fish oil however. I've yet to find a dog food that contains avocado, onion, or rhubarb so I don't think you need to worry too much about that.
TPceebee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Insta - @Oxide_fx

Postby TPceebee » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:02 am

I feed butcher's choice (usually comes in blue packaging). You can find it in most supermarkets, tesco, morrisons, sainsbury's etc.
I have also tried Caesers and pedigree, but I find that Butchers is the one I can get my lil' guy to eat consistently. Plus, it's grain free!
It comes with its own veg (carrots, peas etc.), but I'd also add some greens like rocket, watercress or beetroot leaves.

I've never heard of feeding baby food. I'd save money and just buy the fruit and veg and mash it up yourself! Butternut squash and green pepper is a favourite, and I'll occasionally feed blueberries, grapes or banana as a treat. Take a look at the list of foods in the caresheet and try them out to find out what your skink will like the best.

(P.S. You may know this already, but I'd recommend getting your little one from a reputable breeder. There's quite a few here in the UK. The skinks you find in the petshops here are pretty much all imported from the wild.)
Reptiles Owned:

1.0 Northern - Rusty - 1 July 2015
0.0.1 Black Roughneck Monitor Lizard - Neville - 1 April 2019
EverydayThor
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EverydayThor » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:28 am

Thank you so much for the feedback and the recommendation for Butcher's Choice. Any particular recipe you're feeding? Chicken/Tripe?
The Baby Food recommendation was from TC Houston's YouTube Channel as they can have a good combination of different vegetables.
Since I cook everything from scratch, we should have enough veg around to add that to his diet anyways. Was just wondering if there were recommendations.
TPceebee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby TPceebee » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:14 am

EverydayThor wrote:Thank you so much for the feedback and the recommendation for Butcher's Choice. Any particular recipe you're feeding? Chicken/Tripe?
The Baby Food recommendation was from TC Houston's YouTube Channel as they can have a good combination of different vegetables.
Since I cook everything from scratch, we should have enough veg around to add that to his diet anyways. Was just wondering if there were recommendations.

That's an odd recommendation from TC Houston. Baby food costs a fortune! You can always mash the veg together and freeze it in small portions then defrost when needed, too!

I usually buy the traditional recipes pack that has chicken, turkey and beef + veg. I've not tried the others as it took me so long just to find a dog food brand that my skink would consistently eat!!
Occasionally I'll swap out the dog food for a bit of steak, beef mince or chicken breast depending on the meal I'm cooking myself as well. The more variety you can add week to week, the better (It's also a good idea to dust the meal with calcium once or twice a week). One of the fun parts of getting a new lizard is learning what that particular individual likes and dislikes!

Going back to your question on foods to avoid, I'd generally try to avoid feeding anything with a high fat content (pork etc.), citrus fruits and veg that is high in oxalates (spinach etc.). These foods are just generally unhealthy for your skink.
Reptiles Owned:

EverydayThor
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EverydayThor » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:12 am

I just realized that the brand I feed to our dog also seems to have nice wholeprey cat and dog Food (so including bones etc which is beneficial).
What do you think about these ingredient lists? Grain-free, high Protein (70%), additive free.

Cat food:
https://edenpetfoods.com/products/eden- ... t-cat.html
Composition
Lamb 20%, Venison 20%, Duck 15%, Rabbit 15%, Broth: 26%, Vegetables: Peas 0.3%, Sweet Potato 0.2%, Carrots 0.2%, Fruits: Blueberries 0.5%, Goji Berries 0.5%, Minerals, Oils and Fats: Linseed Oil 0.2%, Botanicals: Turmeric 0.1%, MOS 0.1%, FOS 0.1%, Glucosamine 0.01%, Chondroitin 0.01%.
Analytical Constituents
Protein 10.7%, Fat 6.7%, Crude ash 2.3%, Crude fibre 0.4%, Moisture 77%, Omega 3: 0.05%, Omega 6: 0.02%.

Nutritional Additives
Vitamins: Vitamin D3 200 I.E., Vitamin E as alpha tocopherol acetate 20 I.E, Vitamin C 40mg, Vitamin B1 10mg, Vitamin B2 6mg, Vitamin B6 2mg, Vitamin B12 75mcg, Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide) 15mg, Vitamin B5 (Ca-Pantothenate) 9mg.
Trace Elements
Folic acid 0.35mg, Biotin 300mcg, Choline chloride 1200mg, Zinc as zinc chelate of glycine hydrate 25mg, Manganese as manganese chelate of glycine hydrate 1.4mg, Iodine as anhydrous calcium iodate 0.75mg, Taurine 1500mg.

Notes: Lamb as a rather fatty meat might be a bit high but total fat content seems to be in line with the care sheet. Ash is a bit higher but I think that's insignificant. Turine is quite high but I have no comparison to other foods there...

Dog food:
https://edenpetfoods.com/products/dog-f ... s-256.html
Composition
Lamb 20%, Venison 20%, Rabbit 15%, Duck 15%, Broth: 26%, Vegetables: Peas 0.3%, Sweet Potato 0.2%, Carrots 0.2%, Fruits: Blueberries 0.5%, Goji Berries 0.5%, Minerals, Oils and Fats: Linseed Oil 0.2%, Botanicals: Turmeric 0.1%, MOS 0.1%, FOS 0.1%, Glucosamine 0.01%, Chondroitin 0.01%.
Analytical Constituents
Protein 10.7%, Fat 6.7%, Crude ash 2.3%, Crude fibre 0.4%, Moisture 77%.

Nutritional Additives
Vitamins: Vitamin D3 200 I.U., Vitamin E as alpha tocopherol acetate 20 I.E., Vitamin C 40mg, Vitamin B1 10mg, Vitamin B2 6mg, Vitamin B6 2mg, Vitamin B12 75mcg, Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide) 15mg, Vitamin B5 (Ca-Pantothenate) 9mg.
Trace Elements
Folic acid 0.35mg, Biotin 300mcg, Choline chloride 1200mg, Zinc as zinc chelate of glycine hydrate 25mg, Manganese as manganese chelate of glycine hydrate 1.4mg, Iodine as anhydrous calcium iodate 0.75mg.

Notes: Ingredients are pretty much exactly the same except for the taurine, omega 3 and omega 6.

Due to the high protein Ratio (70%), I was wondering, if the dog food would be suitable for a baby Northern BTS (instead of cat food with taurine)? For an adult skink, it would need to be diluted with way more greens but could still work if I get the protein ratio down to 40%? What do you guys think?
EverydayThor
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EverydayThor » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:28 am

Just compared to the Butcher's that you recommended (https://www.butchersdogfood.co.uk/wp/re ... -in-gravy/).
This seems to be a better fit for adult BTS with the nice veg content, also natural etc - and way less expensive. Would still like to know what you think about the above dog food instead of cat food for babies? Can for variation also be used for adults (with added greens/veg) to spice up the menu...
EverydayThor
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EverydayThor » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:30 am

I will just add some other foods here, that would look good to me. Happy to get your comments:

Butternut Box, Chow Down Chicken
Analytical Constituents
Crude protein 12.5%
Crude oils and fats 3.5%
Crude fibres 0.7%
Crude ash 1.7%
Moisture content 69%

Composition
Freshly Prepared Chicken (Chicken 45%,Chicken Liver (15%)), Carrots, Sweet Potato, Green Lentils, Red Split Lentils, Peas, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brewers Yeast, Minerals, Organic Ground Flaxseed Powder, Dried Sage.

Nutritional Additives (per kg)
Additives (per KG): Nutritional additives: Vitamin D3 150IU, Vitamin E 40mg, Zinc (as Zinc Chelate of Protein Hydrolysates) 25mg, Iron (as Iron (II) Chelate of Protein Hydrolysates) 15mg, Manganese (as Manganese Chelate of Protein Hydrolysates) 2.5mg, Copper (as Copper (II) Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate) 2.5mg, Iodine (as Calcium Iodate Anhydrous) 0.25mg.

Butternut Box, Gobble Gobble Turkey
Analytical Constituents
Crude protein 14%
Crude oils and fats 3.5%
Crude fibres 0.7%
Crude ash 1.7%
Moisture content 71%

Composition
Freshly Prepared Turkey (60%), Carrots, Sweet Potato, Green Lentils, Red Split Lentils, Peas, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brewers Yeast, Minerals, Spinach, Organic Ground Flaxseed, Dried Rosemary.

Nutritional Additives (per kg)
Additives (per KG): Nutritional additives: Vitamin A 1500IU, Vitamin D3 150IU, Vitamin E 40mg, Iron (as Iron (II) Chelate of Protein Hydrolysates) 25mg, Zinc (as Zinc Chelate of Protein Hydrolysates) 25mg, Manganese (as Manganese Chelate of Protein Hydrolysates 2.5mg, Copper (as Copper (II) Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate) 2.5mg, Iodine (as Calcium Iodate Anhydrous) 0.25mg, Selenium (as Organic form of Selenium produced by Saccharomyces cerevisiae CNCM I-3060) 0.02mg.

What about lentils in BTS food?

Natural Instinct - Organic Chicken Country Banquet > raw Food!

Ingredients
British organic chicken with bone (75%), British organic chicken liver (5%), organic peas, organic carrot, organic butternut squash,organic curly kale, organic broccoli, British flaxseed oil, sea kelp, wheatgrass, barley grass, Spirulina, thyme, bilberry, Brewer's yeast

Analysis
Moisture 64.9%, Protein 13.4%, Fat 16.3%, Fibre 0.5%, Calcium 0.7%, Phosphorous 0.4%, Sodium 0.1%, Inorganic Matter 3.0%

Benyfit Natural - Premium Blend
Adult Working Dog Complete Raw Food – 80% meat, bone and offal, 19% vegetables & 1% Egg, flax seed oil, kelp & herbs
Human Grade British Ingredients: Turkey, Venison & Rabbit with bone, Liver, Kidney, Heart, Broccoli, Carrot, Swede, Flaxseed Oil, Egg, Kelp, Celery Seeds, Alfalfa, Nettles, Psyllium Husks, Clivers and Wild Yam.
Moisture 69.10%
Protein 17.70%
Fat 8.78%
Ash 4.30%

Fibre 0.40%
Calcium 1.30%
Phosphorous 0.74%

Natures Menu Country Hunter Cat Food Pouch Turkey & Rabbit

Composition
Turkey (62%), Rabbit (34%), Blackcurrant (1%), Cranberry (1%), Spirulina (0.5%), Catnip (0.01%), Yucca Extract, Green Tea Extract, Grape Seed Extract, Rosemary Extract.
Analytical constituents
Protein 10.6%, crude fibre 0.3%, crude oils and fats 6.4%, crude ash 2.4%, moisture 79%
96 kcal/100g
Additives (per kg)
Vitamin A 3000iu, Vitamin D3 200iu, Vitamin E 30mg, Taurine 1.5g. Trace Elements: Zinc sulphate monohydrate 15mg, Manganese sulphate monohydrate 3mg, Calcium iodate 0.75mg, Sodium selenite 0.03mg.

Natures Menu Country Hunter Dog Food Can Wild Venison

Composition
80% Venison, 4% Blueberries, 3% Peas, 3% Swede, 3% Carrots, 3% Apples, Seaweed (1.5%), Spinach (1.5%), Sunflower Oil (<1%), Yucca Extract, Green Tea Extract, Grape Seed Extract, Yeast Extract.
Analytical constituents
Protein 10.1%; Crude Oils & Fats 6.9%; Crude Ash 2.3%; Crude Fibres 0.4%; Moisture 77%.
106 kcal/100g
Additives (per kg)
Vitamins: Vitamin A 3000iu, Vitamin D3 200iu, Vitamin E 30mg. Trace Elements: Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 15mg; Manganese Sulphate Monohydrate 3mg; Calcium Iodate 0.75mg;

Maybe too much fruit in here?

Natures Menu Country Hunter Dog Food Can Farm Reared Turkey

Composition
80% Turkey, 4% Cranberry, 3.5% Pears, 3% Pumpkin Seed, 3% Butternut Squash, 3% Broccoli, Cod liver Oil (1.5%), Kelp (0.7%), Spinach (0.7%), Green Tea Extract (0.6%).
Analytical constituents
Protein 11.9%; Crude Oils & Fats 4%; Crude Ash 2.5%; Crude Fibres 0.5%; Moisture 78%.
87 kcal/100g
Additives (per kg)
Vitamins: Vitamin A 3000iu, Vitamin D3 200iu, Vitamin E 30mg. Trace Elements: Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 15mg; Manganese Sulphate Monohydrate 3mg; Calcium Iodate 0.75mg;

Maybe too much fruit in here?

Akela Kangaroo

Ingredients: Freshly Prepared Kangaroo 70%, Cranberries, Blueberries, Coconut, Asparagus, Carrots, Green Beans, Minerals, Seaweed, Valerian, Camomile, Marjoram, Stinging Nettle, Watercress, Basil, Sage, Dill, Green Tea, Aloe Vera, Rosehips, Borage Oil, Prebiotic FOS, Joint Support [Glucosamine (100mg/Kg), Chondroitin Sulphate (100mg/Kg)].
Nutritional Additives: (per Kg) Vitamin D3 200 I.E, Zinc sulfate monohydrate 15mg, Manganese II sulfate monohydrate 3mg, Calcium iodite 0.75mg.

Analysis: Crude Protein 10.8%, Crude Oils & Fats 6.8%, Crude Minerals 2.4%, Crude Fibre 0.4%, Crude Moisture 75%, NFE (Theoretical Carbs) 4.6%, Calcium 0.23%, Phosphorus 0.17%, KCal per 100g 118.56
Note: Our tin cans have a coating that includes Bisphenol A (BPA). We are working towards replacing this with a non-BPA coating but will not compromise on quality. We recommend that customers concerned about BPA switch to our raw or dry food as the packaging does not contain BPA

Akela Duck & Turkey

Ingredients: Freshly Prepared Duck 35%, Freshly Prepared Turkey 35%, Cranberries, Blueberries, Coconut, Asparagus, Carrots, Green Beans, Minerals, Seaweed, Valerian, Camomile, Marjoram, Stinging Nettle, Watercress, Basil, Sage, Dill, Green Tea, Aloe Vera, Rosehips, Borage Oil, Prebiotic FOS, Joint Support [Glucosamine (100mg/Kg), Chondroitin Sulphate (100mg/Kg)].
Nutritional Additives: (per Kg) Vitamin D3 200 I.E, Zinc sulfate monohydrate 15mg, Manganese II sulfate monohydrate 3mg, Calcium iodite 0.75mg.

Analysis: Crude Protein 10.8%, Crude Oils & Fats 6.6%, Crude Minerals 2.4%, Crude Fibre 0.3%, Crude Moisture 75%, NFE (Theoretical Carbs) 4.9%, Calcium 0.23%, Phosphorus 0.17%, KCal per 100g 118.45
Note: Our tin cans have a coating that includes Bisphenol A (BPA). We are working towards replacing this with a non-BPA coating but will not compromise on quality. We recommend that customers concerned about BPA switch to our raw or dry food as the packaging does not contain BPA.

AniForte PureNature Country Chicken

Ingredients:
88.0% Tender Chicken, consisting of 60% chicken heart, chicken meat, chicken liver, chicken stomachs, chicken necks, 28.2% stock, 4% carrots, 3% rice, 2% red currants, 1% celery, 1% chicory, 0.1% egg shell powder, 0.1% herbs (dandelion, nettles, ribwort, yarrow), 0.1% rapeseed oil, 0.1 % coconut flakes, 0.1% spirulina, 0.1% silica, 0.1% Omega-3 extract, 0.1% calcified seaweed
Analytical Components:
Protein 10.0%, fat content 6.2%, crude ash 2.2%, raw fibre 0.6%, moisture 75%, calcium 0.24%, phosphor 0.18%

Again very high protein ratio, 88%.

AniForte PureNature Wild Forest
Ingredients:
88.2% venison (60.0% from venison heart, venison meat, venison liver, venison lung, venison tripe and 28.2% from venison stock), 2.0% parsley root, 2.0% courgettes, 2.0% sweet potatoes, 1.0% celeriac, 1.0% cranberries, 1.0% pear, 1.0% plum,1.0% chestnut, 0.1% eggshell powder, 0.1% herbs (thyme, rosemary), 0.1% wheat germ oil, 0.1% desiccated coconut, 0.1% spirulina, 0.1% silica, 0.1% omega-3-extract, 0.1% seaweed calcium
Analytical Components:
10.1% protein, 6.7% fat content, 2.3% crude ash, 0.6% crude fibre, 75.0% moisture, 0.21% calcium, 0.16% phosphorus

Dito.
TPceebee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby TPceebee » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:48 pm

Hey! Sorry for the delay in responding. If what you're buying already is cheaper then go for it!

I'd continue to supplement their food with a bit of greens, but it seems to have the veg covered. I would personally avoid the cat food, due to the taurine and I would also not feed too much of some of the other brands you listed below that have high amounts of kale,a spinach etc. High amounts of phosphate/oxalates can cause kidney stones in skinks.

The dog food on its own provides a healthy, balanced diet for skinks, so as long as you add a little more greens I wouldn't worry about getting things exact.

And supplement every other meal or so with a tiny bit of calcium+d3 and occasionally add an extremely small amount of multi-vitamin supplement.
Reptiles Owned:

EverydayThor
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EverydayThor » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:30 am

Hey there,
no worries, things are not soo urgent. The food you recommended is cheaper than the one I found. I would supplement with additional greens anyways just to have something fresh and some variety in the diet.
Will take a good look at the ingredients before feeding anything anyways but it's good to know that I don't have to make too much of a scientific problem of it :) So far little Loki is very happy with everything in his new residence.
Thanks again for your help!!
TPceebee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby TPceebee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:26 pm

You're very welcome. You'll soon figure out (if you haven't already) that there's no one way of doing things when it comes to taking care of them. Everyone does things slightly differently. It's just a matter of doing tonnes of research on all sides to build up your own preferred method of care, which is why this forum is a fantastic place to get the opinions of many different skink owners around the globe.

Hope to see some pictures of wee Loki up on here soon!
Reptiles Owned:

EverydayThor
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EverydayThor » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:10 am

Yeah, I agree. Opinions will always be different between different people. But as long as the animals get the best possible care, it should all be okay.
Posted some pictures in the post for that if you want to meet Loki :) Pictures are not great but the best my phone let me take. Loki is more of a video character ;)
SuperiosCaiman
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby SuperiosCaiman » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:55 pm

Hi! So I've been looking over this forum even though it was from a long time ago.

I did look at Butcher's Choice (as my skink is a wee one and only 7 months old!) and was wondering if the 6x Chicken And Veg + 6x Lamb and Veg were okay for a transition into dog food?

Of course it's unlikely I'll get an answer due to the inactivity of the forum but still wondering.
Neilwade
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Neilwade » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:01 am

Meowing Heads Top-Cat Turkey Wet Food
- Contains over 50% protein measured as dry matter
- Made with protein from three high-quality animal sources
- Rich in moisture to support your cat’s hydration

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”