Page 1 of 1

New baby bluey and New to BTS

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:58 am
by kkrell
I've wanted one of these guys for a few years now and finally was able to get a jump on baby season and pick one out (CB northern). Named "him" Yoshi!
Yoshi traveled a few states to arrive at his new home (july 9th so he's only been here a couple days) and after a few hours in his enormous new enclosure (animal plastics t10) i gave him 6 or so super worms which he gobbled up and absolutely LOVES! but he is not in love with me yet :lol: and i expected that but i'm just so ready to have a BTS that loves to come out and explore.

Thinking about giving him the day off, maybe offering food every other day (when i tried to give him a cat food and greens concoction he was not fond..) because i know he needs to settle in more. whenever i walk by his cage which does not see much traffic he hisses and retreats more in his hide. thats if i even see him at all, once i spotted him on his basking rock and as soon as he saw me he took off so fast into a hide!

How long did your brand new feisty baby bluey take to calm down and tolerate you more? i know ive only had him a few days and it takes time, i've read a few threads here on basic info but like hearing personal stories too.
how'd it go with you?

**also i saw him eat a small sliver of forest floor and now im worried about impaction :roll:

Re: New baby bluey and New to BTS

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:03 pm
by Janella
Hi and welcome to the forum. Definitely give it time. It can take weeks to months for your new baby to adjust. Every skink is different. I would just keep talking to it every time your near, read to it if you have time, offer tasty treats and foods by hand/spoon. Some people will put even a shirt or something that you worn in with them so they get used to your smell. Make sure to offer lots of hiding places in your enclosure to help Yoshi feel secure. Don't handle for at least two weeks. When you do begin to handle just offer your hand or fingers at first so he gets used to you. Try gentle pets first. Slow and steady. Hope that helps.

Oh and don't worry about impaction...a little bit will pass right through.

Re: New baby bluey and New to BTS

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:28 pm
by kkrell
For sure- I just suck at the waiting game :lol: I was getting worried that he hasn’t been getting any water since I never see him explore so I put another water bowl next to his hide he’s always in. Still won’t really eat his cat food, but I leave it in there with him for a while anyway. Today I tried the tough love and just picked up his hide and went in and picked him up. Only held him for a few seconds- couldn’t really tell what he thought of me may have been wondering if I’m worth biting :lol:
Babies grow so fast and he’s so stinkin cute, I’m sad I have to miss this stage because I hardly see him!

Re: New baby bluey and New to BTS

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:49 pm
by Janella
Patience is the key with these guys. He is still new and has to learn he can trust you. Keep offering those tasty treats and let him get to know your voice. Good luck! They truly are adorable as youngsters. Then again, they are adorable as adults too.