Page 1 of 1

Toe Loss

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:56 am
by AllTimeBubble
So a couple weeks ago I noticed my blue tongue biting his toe. I got him out and I thought maybe there was stuck shed even though I saw none, the toe was wounded though. So I took him to the vet and they just told me that it was a small wound that would heal and not to worry about it. A few days later, the toe fell off.
He's healed but I really dont know what I did wrong, I have reptibark, humus soil and sphagnum moss as substrate, I spray his enclosure with water 3 times a day, he has plenty of space to hide (three hides, warm end, cold end and a log). The only thing I can think of is enclosure size but his is 48" long and he's still only a baby.

Re: Toe Loss

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:17 am
by splashy07
The enclosure size has nothing to do with this issue. What kind of BTS is it? Possibly an import and this condition was pre-existing, as old shed on a baby's tiny toe would be very difficult to detect. Keep an eye on him from here on to make sure there are no others. A warm soak after each shed can't hurt.

Re: Toe Loss

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:34 am
by AllTimeBubble
splashy07 wrote:The enclosure size has nothing to do with this issue. What kind of BTS is it? Possibly an import and this condition was pre-existing, as old shed on a baby's tiny toe would be very difficult to detect. Keep an eye on him from here on to make sure there are no others. A warm soak after each shed can't hurt.


He's halmahera and I got him captive bred.
thank you for the advice, I was soaking the toe before it fell off so I'll warm soak him after each shed from now on, thank you :)

Re: Toe Loss

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:52 am
by splashy07
Halms are seldom if ever captive bred, they are more than likely farmed in their country or origin. Many times gravid females are imported and the babies are sold as captive bred, whereas they were 'captive born'. All the best of luck with him, just keep an eye on those feet.

Re: Toe Loss

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:54 pm
by Janella
Yes definitely was probably captive born. Halamara's need high humidity as well. 80% and higher. Humid hides will also help during shedding season too. Soaking is really good for them. Good luck!