Only eating when hand fed

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
scoot1810
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Only eating when hand fed

Postby scoot1810 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:10 pm

Hey guys, I have a 5 month old blotchy and recently he hasn’t been eating regularly. He seems to be “going off” his favourite cat food and will lick it and walk away. I was getting worried because he hadn’t eaten in over a week so yesterday I offered him a boiled egg. I put it in his dish and he just stared at it and eventually walked away. I tried hand feeding him the egg and it worked! I’m getting some silkworms today and plan to hand feed those too. Is it okay to have a skink that only eats when hand fed? Should I continue hand feeding him? Thanks in advance.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Only eating when hand fed

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:51 am

I have had several skinks and dragons as pets who decided that they wanted 5 star service (handfeeding).

I take the attitude that if this what the pet wants , I do it , I don't believe in using tough love (especially on young lizards who need their protein and minerals and fats each day to grow and develop properly) - letting it starve itself in order to get it to tow the line and eat from a dish stuff it's telling you it doesn't like or catch it's own insects is not fair on the lizard who will not understand why you are persisting .

I've noticed that my pet skinks and dragons do go through periods where suddenly a favourate very desireable food becomes YUCK and they decide they no longer like or want it. I do think this can be because
> the lizard has become bored with that food
> an insect bit them back (scaring them off that food)
> the lizard got a nasty taste from the food (processed foods most likely) and now associates the food it used to love with that and will not touch it
> the food is not providing something the lizard needs in it's diet and it wants something different that does contain the nutrient it needs.

I'd not stress over this , try different foods and it's likely you'll find a food the skink will eat willingly , in the mean time hand feed it with nutritious foods , it's a great way to bond with a skink.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:19 pm

I couldn't agree more with the advice already given.
scoot1810
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby scoot1810 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:59 am

kingofnobbys wrote:I have had several skinks and dragons as pets who decided that they wanted 5 star service (handfeeding).

I take the attitude that if this what the pet wants , I do it , I don't believe in using tough love (especially on young lizards who need their protein and minerals and fats each day to grow and develop properly) - letting it starve itself in order to get it to tow the line and eat from a dish stuff it's telling you it doesn't like or catch it's own insects is not fair on the lizard who will not understand why you are persisting .

I've noticed that my pet skinks and dragons do go through periods where suddenly a favourate very desireable food becomes YUCK and they decide they no longer like or want it. I do think this can be because
> the lizard has become bored with that food
> an insect bit them back (scaring them off that food)
> the lizard got a nasty taste from the food (processed foods most likely) and now associates the food it used to love with that and will not touch it
> the food is not providing something the lizard needs in it's diet and it wants something different that does contain the nutrient it needs.

I'd not stress over this , try different foods and it's likely you'll find a food the skink will eat willingly , in the mean time hand feed it with nutritious foods , it's a great way to bond with a skink.

Sorry for the late reply, thanks a bunch!!!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”