Handling New BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
LavenderFleur
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Handling New BTS

Postby LavenderFleur » Fri May 17, 2019 7:59 pm

I got my new skink a little over a month ago. He's a little skittish, but has been getting more used to me putting my hands in the cage. He still huffs and puffs and will hiss a bit if I accidentally startle him. I have not yet tried to pick him up. I was afraid of scaring him and making him afraid of me. I know, at some point, I need to get him used to being held. Usually if I try to touch him, he darts off to his hidey hole, a little trench under his cork round. Should I try to just grab him anyway, or keep on getting him more used to me? I am in no huge rush, but I don't want to end up with a full-grown skink that I can't handle either!

Thank you!
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Handling New BTS

Postby Yeshika » Fri May 17, 2019 9:01 pm

If he's running away, I wouldn't try grabbing him, as that will just reinforce the idea he has that you're scary. See if you can lift him up slowly before he makes a run for it. It will probably take a lot of tries before you can get close enough, but it will happen eventually. Make sure after interacting with him, you give him some space for a while as well. Good luck! :thumbs:
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Handling New BTS

Postby mb606587 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Huffing and puffing is normal. Some will do it their entire lives. Now I wouldn't try grabbing a skink that is actively fleeing from you but there will come a time where you will have to eventually start removing him from a hide if the evading continues and the suggestion above does not work because of a particularly flighty skink. Most skinks don't particularly enjoy being handled, especially imported ones so you can expect some huffing. That in itself wouldn't stop me from picking it up although I can see how the huffing itself has been intimidating to some before you.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”