New bts owner

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Mlane1975
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Michael lane

Re: New bts owner

Postby Mlane1975 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:41 pm

So in your opinion what is enough to eat . I feed him every 2 days . I actually boil chicken and add some vegetables and greens and fruit and blend it . Is that to little or is it much or is it good and heating and lighting. I have a under tank pad under his hide . 3 in cedar substrate and I have a 75 watt heat lamp over head. 1 uvb in the center all heat in 1 side . Is that good for him . All things i read say yes . As for handling I'm just very impatient because i never experienced a blue tongue . All my other animals were all babies and were fine . I'm sure I'm just anxious.
Mlane1975
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Mlane1975 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:49 pm

Has anyone ever been bit before . What can I expect ??
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:43 am

I have not, but maybe others have. Personally I would add some high quality dog food to his diet. That is what we recommend here.
Janella
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Thu May 16, 2019 7:20 am

Bites can hurt and break skin. I agree on using a high quality protein source added to the diet. Dog food works well.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:51 am

Cedar substrate is not recommended. The natural oils in the wood have been said to be potentially toxic to the respiratory system. I'd recommend using something along the lines of cypress mulch or even organic top soil. As for a bite, I've surprisingly never experienced one and all of my skinks are wild caught Merauke and Irian Jaya. A testament to how great these reptiles are. My wife was bitten once. She said it felt like a pinch and it left a pretty nice bruise. It'll hurt but you probably won't need any medical treatment as you would from some other reptiles. As for the diet, check out the diet chart on this site as a guide if you haven't already. As others stated, I am a huge proponent of feeding canned dog food, especially over nutrient deficient options such as boiled or cooked human grade meat. If using a heat mat and a heat lamp, just be mindful of your temperatures in the enclosure. An enclosure which is too hot is much more dangerous than one that is too cool. I've personally never needed to use both however different size enclosures and climates will require modifications in heat so what works for me may not necessarily work for you.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:07 am

Oh yes, I missed the cedar thing. Please change that immediately, even if you have to put him on paper until you return from the store!
Mlane1975
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Mlane1975 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:51 pm

It's actually not cedar . IT IS Cyprus mulch . That's my mistake . So dog food good ... Boiled chicken bad . I was in Petco looking for dog food earlier and their is just so many . Any recommendations. I have to get the thermostat in there . I might take the heat mat out . His hide might be warm and humid enough. I'll just raise the wattage of the lamp . It's a big heat mat so maybe I'll just get a smaller one . Again thanks for all your help . Again it's not cedar its cypress lol. Dog food recommendations would be great thanks.
Janella

Postby Janella » Thu May 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Boiled chicken isn't bad. It can be used as a protein source. As was suggested check out the feeding chart for other suggestions on protein. My guys like chicken gizzards and hearts, eggs, snails, lean ground turkey, and dog food. Some dog food suggestions are natural balance gobbler cobbler or chow down chowder. Any good high protein dog food is fine. I have used wellness brand as well.
They don't necessarily need a heat mat as long as the temps are met. Remember they need a hot side and a cooler end.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:59 pm

Boiled chicken lacks many essential nutrients, most notably calcium. It can be fed to them from time to time, however some people attempt to make chicken or beef the main diet and that has been proven to cause some serious health issues and nutritional deficiencies. Our skinks benefit from whole prey options. Bone meal, skin, organ meat, all ingredients that are lacking in "human grade" meat for obvious reasons are necessary for our animals health and can be found in dog food. So I don't want to cause confusion. Boiled chicken is only bad if it makes up the bulk of a skink's diet.
MaddyKay99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby MaddyKay99 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:03 am

For the dog food just ensure that it is grain free and try to get ones without by products and with other vegetables. Another thing you will want to do is mix up the base meat of their dog food. I had my 6 month merauke on only beef for about a month and then his stool got really runny, I switched it around to lamb then chicken then even rabbit and that issue is a thing of the past
Mlane1975
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Mlane1975 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:27 pm

976e999826b24861b395f516f4e6d3f9.0.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mlane1975
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Mlane1975 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:34 pm

Ok so I'm pretty excited because he has no fear of me anymore . I have more pics but they won't upload. Now it's me who is nervous . While I'm talking to him he is coming to the glass and trying to interact. We have turned a corner . He wants to engage now I have to trust him . I am gonna start to handle him and see how it goes .thanks for all the help . Now he's very curious and I think he want to come hang out . Is it weird that I'm the nervous 1 now . Maybe he's trying to trick me to get a piece of me lol . Should I go in with a glove justi n case or just go for it . I really think it was the change in the heating . I turned the heat Mat off under his hide and I think he's happier
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:29 pm

If you are nervous then yes nothing wrong with wearing a glove until you get a bit more confidence. If you are hesitant and make quick jerky movements, especially from above, you will likely spook him so wear the glove and be confident, even if he huffs or starts squirming.
Keep comfort in knowing that they rarely bite. Once held and fully supported, they tend to calm down and just rest. Remember that these aren't arboreal lizards so you must support the full body and limbs while holding them. If you leave the rear legs dangling in the air, he will likely start writhing around in your hands, spinning his tail, and even poop and pee on you. It's very important not to drop him if any of this happens but to re-adjust your hands underneath him cupping the limbs so that he feels safe.
Mlane1975
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Mlane1975 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:43 am

895e3601298181df9f2000b82ae3d87b.0.jpg
He is doing great . We are very excited.. thanks guys ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janella

Postby Janella » Tue May 28, 2019 3:12 am

Yeah! Glad to see he is coming around. :ohyes:

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”