Nebulising

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Nebulising

Postby Suzle87 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:25 am

Another day another worry.
Think we are starting an RI again, lethargic, slight click sometimes when breathing and I noticed his body moving as he breathes (more so than ordinarily)
So first port of call is the f10 and nebuliser. So, my question is, can I nebulise him while he is in his viv instead of putting his in a different tub and stressing him out more than needs be? I can’t imagine it’d cause any problems to his viv as if it doesn’t to his lungs then it seems pretty safe but I thought I’d ask incase I’m missing something?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Nebulising

Postby Janella » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:21 pm

I don't think it matters if you do it inside or outside of the enclosure. The only difference inside is making sure he's getting the medicine. Do you nebulize in an enclosed tub normally or hold the nebulizer up to your skink? I think the smaller space of a tub will help make sure your skink is getting all the meds.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:20 pm

Janella wrote:I don't think it matters if you do it inside or outside of the enclosure. The only difference inside is making sure he's getting the medicine. Do you nebulize in an enclosed tub normally or hold the nebulizer up to your skink? I think the smaller space of a tub will help make sure your skink is getting all the meds.

I use quite a large tub with the lid pretty much on, just leaving a gap for the nebuliser, to make sure it is contained as much as possible I also cover the lid and any gaps with a towel.
Ideally I’d like to cut a hole for the nebuliser so the lid can go on fully, but I wouldn’t know where to begin with attempting that. (Previously I have used smaller tubs but with him being so big now I don’t like the idea of putting him in one of those as he wouldn’t be able to move round at all and I imagine that would stress him.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:26 pm

I think the way you are doing it now is best. That way you can guarantee the medicine is going in and not escaping in his enclosure. You could always drill a hole in the tub and place the nebulizer threw it. That way the lid could be placed on tight. Hard to explain through typing.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”