Juvenile eastern going into brumation

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Daxter4034
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Juvenile eastern going into brumation

Postby Daxter4034 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:13 pm

Hi I'm new to this forum and new to bts I have a young skink 5 months old and in Queensland we're entering winter and I've noticed my skink is starting to show signs of entering brumation over the last few days it's starting to hide and burrow in its substrate alot more often and I've been told i should avoid entering brumation so im slowly increasing the lighting periods and I'm going to get a stronger bulb because the bulb I have now it takes over half a day to get to the right temperature we have entered a cold snap that seems to be staying is there anything else I should do and is it really bad if such a young skink enters brumation? I'm kinda stressing a bit
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Juvenile eastern going into brumation

Postby splashy07 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:40 am

I know things are quite different here in the US, but I have had juveniles go into brumation their first winter, which occurs at the time they're 5-7 months old. If they want to, they're going to and there's really not much you can do. I have noticed this behavior more often than not with males, very seldom females which seem to never want to stop eating.
Daxter4034
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Daxter4034 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:49 pm

Sweet thank you very much, you've put my mind at ease
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:25 am

My adult skinks slow down a little over winter , but are up every couple of days for a drink and a bask and a nibble. My 6 month old juvenile water skink is a bottomless pit and is very active now.

I'm coastal northern NSW , so if anything , you are in a currenty warmer location in Queensland than I am.

I have eastern bluetongues and eastern water skinks. If anything my old lady water skink is more active now than she was month of two ago , and seems hungrier.

Since your Eastern BT is only a juvenile (6 months old) it would be best to keep it's tank warm and keep offering food and water to try to keep it awake over winter. My vet told me it was not advisable to let a juvenile BTS brumate during it's first winter (doesn't have the fat reserves of a healthy adult).
The burrowing is simply trying to stay warm.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”