UVB light size/power for Northern

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Skoll_21
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

UVB light size/power for Northern

Postby Skoll_21 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:51 am

Hi,

I have a Northern BTS and I want to get UVB lighting for her. I've been giving her D3 supplements but her viv is a bit dark and I figured I might as well just get UVB lighting. I'm just not sure what length/power I should get.

The viv is 1.5m long and the light would be about 45cm high. I'm looking at Arcadia T5 Pro kits and I think I should get 12% but I'm not sure if I should go for 24W (55cm) or 39W (85cm). I'm also not sure about the placement of the light (middle, more towards the warm area, covering the basking area?)

Thanks!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: UVB light size/power for Northern

Postby mb606587 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:44 am

The 12% should work well. I'd place it over your basking spot and extending into the warm area. Wild Blue Tongue Skinks will bask in the sunlight until their body temperatures reach the desired temperatures, hunt or forage for a bit, and then hide under leaf litter, burrows, etc. where there is little or no sunlight. Your cool zone in the enclosure should mimic this. And the 24 watt or 55 cm model would be my choice.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”