Uvb noob question? help?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Lanky
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Uvb noob question? help?

Postby Lanky » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:13 pm

Im new to using uvb and i want to try into with my northern BTS skink i know its a bit of in between if you need or not but i wanna try uvb with my bts any idea where to start and what to buy?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Uvb noob question? help?

Postby mb606587 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:00 am

For uvb lighting, linear bulbs or the long tubes are usually recommended. You will need the bulb and the hood fixture. Most go with 10% or 12%, especially if placing on top of a screen. I use 5%, but mine are mounted inside the enclosure at the minimum distance according to the package instructions, which is universally 6-8 inches. Any closer, and the uvb could be potentially harmful.
4thInfantryVet
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby 4thInfantryVet » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:52 am

Definitely check out the megaray products just make sure you don’t get a super high output one and over do it but I really like mine.
Lanky
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lanky » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:27 am

ok so long tubing does that mean i need liek aquarium hood lights?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:26 am

No.

The brands you are looking for in T8 and T5ho uvb tubes are Zoo Med, Exo Terra and Arcadia Reptile. That is it.

The hood should have a reflector builtin . Some use domestic fittings and remove the plastic screen & add a slip on reflector.

Show us the hood and tube you are thinking of using to give your northern BTS UV and you'll be told yes or no. I think you are looking at a T5HO rated at least 10%uvb.
A mesh screen will block 50% of the UV.
Lanky
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lanky » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:19 pm

i saw a T-5 at my local herp store is it possible for me to hook to like a wood piece where screen mesh wouldnt be for better uvb? also the uvb tube was a zoomed product with i believe 10 on it
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:28 am

Lanky wrote:i saw a T-5 at my local herp store is it possible for me to hook to like a wood piece where screen mesh wouldnt be for better uvb? also the uvb tube was a zoomed product with i believe 10 on it

Careful with the current batch of Zoo Med T5HO 10% tubes, they changed their phosphors and the UV output decays much faster than it should since this change was made.

I'd get an Arcadia T5HO 12%uvb tube , these are excellent and guaranteed to last at least 12 months.

Mounting the hood under mesh , poke two cable ties (or twist ties) though the mesh to form two loose loops (one at each end of the hood, tighten the cable ties , job done.
Lanky
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lanky » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:41 pm

would i be able to find arcadia at a expo? if not where is a good online store?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:19 pm

You can get them from Reptile Basics online store among others. I'm sure Amazon too.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”