Please help identify this BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Degobah99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Please help identify this BTS

Postby Degobah99 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:17 am

I’m considering adopting this BTS. “He” is believed to be a 5 year old male. Bought directly from a breeder with damage to the tail from being housed with other BTS. Scars on his neck from being left out and the owner’s dogs attacked him. Aside from the previous trauma, which I’m perfectly content to look past, I’m not sure of his subspecies. I was leaning towards merauke but have gotten feedback that he might be an Irian Jaya or kei island. Any help would be great! I’ve attached current photos as well as one that was taken a few years ago, prior to his tussle with the dog that left him scarred. I want to make sure he’s housed appropriately with the necessary humidity. Apart from identifying his subspecies; any additional feedback on husbandry would be greatly appreciated as well! Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Please help identify this BTS

Postby mb606587 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:26 pm

That's a tough one! Looking at the body, I can definitely understand people saying Kei Island but I don't see it in the face/head. So I'm with you on Merauke, even though most are cleaner between the bands. Humidity should be in the 60%-80% range. Use a moisture retaining substrate like cypress mulch or organic top soil mixed with sphagnum moss. If you have trouble maintaining the humidity, cover 3/4 of the screen top or any other ventilation to keep the humid air inside.
Edward
Carpe diem
Carpe diem

Postby Edward » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:08 am

I'm very certain he is not a Kei Island but he could be an Irian Jaya or Merauke.
Also, there is a small possibility of his being a hybrid or intergrade.
Did you end up adopting him?
Nemo me impune lacessit.
Degobah99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Degobah99 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:32 am

Yes, I did adopt her!! She’s been to the vet and given a clean bill of health, apart from necessary husbandry and diet changes. The vet was 90% sure she’s female based on body proportions, eye color, and palpating her abdomen. An ultrasound would rule it out completely but was not advised as it is expensive and the vet was comfortable saying she’s female. I’ve seen her poop and there was absolutely no signs of hemipenes. I know she’s an Indonesian but the exact subspecies continues to be a mystery. I’ve heard so many different opinions from people as to what type she is. She’s about 4.5 years old and weighs 300 grams. She has a light orange/peach color extending down her belly and ending a bit on her throat. I’d love to know her subspecies if anyone has an educated opinion. Seems to remain a mystery! :)
Reptile luver
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Reptile luver » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:26 pm

Based on that undercolor u describe id say merauke. Or a hybrid.
My merauke has that peach belly color. Does it have a ny black or mostly peach ish?
Degobah99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Degobah99 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:50 am

I have a strong feeling she’s a merauke hybrid. She has no black on her belly. Just the orange/peach color. She’s going into shed or I’d post a picture. What are some specific picture angles that would be helpful in identifying her subspecies?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:31 am

The angles you posted were pretty good. The belly being all pink can be traits of both Irian Jaya and Merauke. I would also agree with the possibility of it being a hybrid as it has the look of a Merauke but unlike any I've personally seen. Meraukes and Irian Jayas share the same locales so hybrids between the two are not uncommon. One of my Meraukes with the all pink belly.
20190129_121130.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Degobah99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Degobah99 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:41 am

My gut tells me she’s a Northern/Merauke hybrid. She’s been housed in a 40 gallon terrarium with minimum efforts by the previous owner. I’m surprised she’s so healthy considering. One heat bulb, one uvb bulb, no top on the terrarium whatsoever, no heating pad, no humid hide, reptichip substrate. She shows no signs of shedding or respiratory issues. The vet said she’s very healthy. That’s what leads me to think she may be a Northern hybrid. I’m slowly increasing her humidity and eventually moving her into an extra large exo terra terrarium with an extra large heat mat, uvb light strip, heat bulb, humid hide and cyprus mulch/organic soil substrate.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:49 am

I don't see anything that would indicate a Northern with this specific animal. Meraukes and IJ's are both hardy, moreso than the other gigas species, and can withstand lower humidity for extended time.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”