Can someone help identify my skink?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
taylor
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Can someone help identify my skink?

Postby taylor » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:39 pm

I recently just bought a new skink, the guy I got him from said he's only four months. Right now I'm just letting him settle in so I only have a few pictures because I haven't handled him much except to put him in the tank. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify him? and if he's a northern or Indonesian, Im not sure about the humidity and I want to get it right. If he's an Indonesian how do you keep the moisture high, should I get a humidifier or hand mist? If a humidifier, do you recommend any brands? Im sorry I have so many questions I want the best for my little guy :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4thInfantryVet
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Re: Can someone help identify my skink?

Postby 4thInfantryVet » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Definitely gonna let the pros help you identify exactly the type, but I can help you with the humidity questions.

Keeping humidity up is a must with any of the Indonesians, I would get a good hygrometer and use a substrate great at holding humidity, I use a 50/50 of cypress mulch and coconut fiber, even with misting it by hand that ended up not being enough for me so I got a mistking. However I’m certain you could make due perfectly well with any of the reptile misting systems you can find on amazon with decent reviews. Once you get the hygrometer it’ll be some trial and error but the hygrometer really helps you out to get a good idea.

If you mist by hand just make sure it’s not turning into a slushy wet lake under the substrate or you’ll run into trouble possibly with bacteria and hygiene etc. moist doesn’t need to equal super wet.

If you have a screen top try covering some of the top up to help hold in humidity but make sure that you leave adequate airflow.

You can find decent hygrometers at hardware stores I started with an “accurite” from Lowe’s. Same with the cypress mulch(plain and undyed etc).
Degobah99
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Degobah99 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:19 am

I’m considering adopting a BTS that looks very similar. Good luck on your quest. That little one is absolutely beautiful!
kayla990
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby kayla990 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Tempted to say a Merauke (Indonesian) based on the pattern on the tail being relatively equally spaced out. Pretty guy! But yep, will need to increase humidity as can confirm not a Northern :)
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:56 pm

I can tell you with certainty it's not a Northern or any Australian species for that matter. Your skink comes from Indonesia, and appears to be Merauke but get a few more pictures up and one of the belly and arms.

And great info provided on previous posts.
taylor
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby taylor » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:04 am

Thank you all for your help! A few days ago I got a humidifier and I covered the top of the tank so it stays in. Ive been keeping the humidity around 50-60 percent. He is still a little nervous around me and runs away when come in the room, hoping he warms up soon :)
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:02 am

Looks quite Merauke to me too, possible a Merauke/IJ cross which are becoming quite common (around here, anyway). I'd see if I could bump up the humidity just a bit more.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”