Help - Normal post-brumation behavior or not?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Wafflecone
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Help - Normal post-brumation behavior or not?

Postby Wafflecone » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Hi all, I am a first-time skink owner and my buddy Monka has been acting strange since he woke up from his first brumation. I am hoping this is somewhat normal behavior...He's a northern, 1 1/2 years old, bought as a baby from a from a reputable breeder in the US. I've researched as much as I can online but can't find definitive answers. Any thoughts or advice are much appreciated!

My skink slept from early November to mid February, then woke up as I slowly raised the temp in his tank. He was awake for a solid two weeks. He took his time before eating anything and was fairly active, started returning to his normal self. He ate a little, made two or three small poops and started shedding on his stomach about a week and half ago. Then, before finishing his full shed, he burrowed again and has been sleeping almost constantly for over a week on the cool side of the tank. I can wake him up but he doesn't really want to do much. Normally he's very active.

I've never seen him sleep this much outside of brumation and he normally eats a ton, now he eats nothing. Did he wake up from brumation too soon? If so, should I lower the temperature and let him go back to sleep? Let him be?
Or does this sound like he may be ill?

Thank you so much for your time and thoughts on this!!
mb606587

Re: Help - Normal post-brumation behavior or not?

Postby mb606587 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:29 am

If there's one thing I've learned about keeping these guys over the years its that they are very good at scaring us by doing exactly these things during the winter. It could be that he's shedding, they tend not to eat and become inactive during this time. It could be that temperatures are still low overnight and triggering it's instinct to burrow and brumate. Keep an eye on its weight. If your skink starts noticeably losing weight and hip bones become prominent and tail emaciated, it's time to see a vet. If visually he's still healthy, let him do his thing and maybe he'll surprise you real soon. Monitor your temperatures and ensure they are adequate. Consider increasing your overnight temperatures if you currently do not have any additional heat.
Wafflecone
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Wafflecone » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:03 am

mb606587 Thank you so much for your response, I sincerely appreciate it. I am relieved that this sounds normal. I'll keep an eye on his weight and temps.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:43 am

Perfectly normal. Many of my Northerns do that.
Wafflecone
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Wafflecone » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:17 am

What a relief to hear this, thank you :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”