Peters banded skinks

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
xkillmeowx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Peters banded skinks

Postby xkillmeowx » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:39 pm

Hello I recently encountered a peter’ banded skink. I was wondering if anyone has information on them I think I might be interested in getting one and figured skink enthusiasts might be of help with any information on them. Thank you
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Peters banded skinks

Postby mb606587 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:53 pm

From my understanding, keepers have had mixed success getting this species to thrive in captivity. It's not advised to handle them frequently. The ones who are able to get them eating recommend a varied diet of insects, beetles especially, and some vegetables if they will take them. Basking surfaces around 100 degrees and cool zones around 80. Low humidity being a desert species. I don't believe anybody has been able to breed them yet so expect any you find to be an imported animal.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:44 am

Just to add, they're quite shy and hide a lot. Just speaking from what I see in my friend's shop, not sure how long term captives act as I do not know of any.
lilQuackers
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lilQuackers » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:48 pm

have at least 3 to 4 inches of sand for them they love to burrow provide a hide. even though people say they wont use it i have had experience with mine sleeping in its hide. feed them 2 to 3 super-worm daily or 4 crickets daily. from my experience and everyone in a while give them 4 to 5 super worms a day. some don't like meal-worms or crickets like mine. after owning them for a while i have discovered that they form a bond and know when its feeding time. mine will beg for attention. i have the hot side at 105 during the day and high 80s to low 80s at night. i provide uvb because i have found mine basking at random times. they say they are nocturnal but i believe they are more crepuscular. try to get an open front tank for it is easier to get them out. the tank should be at least 10 gal but i recommend 20 long because it is larger and usually larger is better. they will only get to around 10 inches max but i expect giants to be found sometime soon.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”