Temperature reading

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Rakeone
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Temperature reading

Postby Rakeone » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi,
I use a 75w light and two uth with 2 thermostats ib my enclosure.

In the day, i have a basking spot with surface at 110 to 92, its a wide flat plastic panel.

Its the rest of the cage I am wondering. Sl
Lets say the tank is at 90 on the hot side, during the day, with the light on, the substrate surface will be 86-88. Cold side will be tank surface 80, substrate 84.

In the night, it gets colder, the surface of the tank will be 90 hot and 80 cold, but the substrate gets much colder, all around 75ish.

How (where) do you guys measure your temps? I am getting a better enclosure.. my gf thinks im a maniac now.

Carl
splashy07

Re: Temperature reading

Postby splashy07 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:52 pm

You're not crazy. In my shingleback's cages I have three thermostat/humidity readers in each cage so wherever they are in the cage I know the humidity and temp. My other cages just have one centrally located about 3/4 of the way up the back of the cage, to get an estimate. I use the temp gun for measuring the areas they bask and sleep.
I measure the temps in and around the area that they will be basking/reposing. Right where they lay.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”