Becoming a Breeder

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
xkillmeowx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Becoming a Breeder

Postby xkillmeowx » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:02 pm

Hello I want to start planning on breeding skinks is there any information you can give me tips tricks species hybrids etc.
Thank you!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Becoming a Breeder

Postby mb606587 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:39 am

My advice is do extensive research and have a couple years experience keeping if you dont already before you try to jump into that. It's a lot cheaper and less stressful to make mistakes and have one skink treated as a result as opposed to making the same mistake with 5 or 10 skinks and having to treat your entire collection due to inexperience.

Most people in the US breed Northerns. A lot of the information regarding breeding them is readily available on this forum as they've been captive bred for decades. The Indonesian species have proved trickier for many over the years. Do not breed different species of BTS together to create hybrids. That is severely frowned upon in this country and many in the community will refuse to buy from or sell to you as a result. If there is any question in your mind as to the subspecies of your BTS, do not attempt to breed it until you are sure.

Most importantly, make sure you are financially stable enough to take care of multiple skinks. Not only are they expensive to buy and house but having more skinks increases the chances of an illness or health issue that is also expensive to treat. And the mating can be extremely violent. Many skinks have lost limbs and tails suddenly when things go wrong in an instant so you need to be ready to deal with that possibility every year. Do it more for the love of working with the animals and the advancement of the hobby and you should be successful. Those who are only financially motivated tend to give up and fail.
xkillmeowx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Becoming a Breeder

Postby xkillmeowx » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:36 pm

It’s not at all financially motivated I love taking care of reptiles I want to take care of so many and it breaks my heart when they are bread for the wrong reason. My skink is only half a year old so we have some time to research. I have been researching and I feel it’s something I really want to do in the next year or so. I just want to obtain as much information as I can before I start. Thank you.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”