Bum or more?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
jesse12512
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Bum or more?

Postby jesse12512 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:02 am

Alright so this is my first post and will be about my Halmahera bts by the name of "Biff". He's my first blue tongue and I purchased him almost two days ago. Now for my question (sorry if I'm being paranoid ahead of time haha) how often do your bts sleep? Ive had mostly active lizards so it might just be my bias on how active he should be :lol: but when I put him in his enclosure he walked to the basking area for maybe an hour tops then went to the corner on the cool side and I have yet to see him do much of anything other than look around a bit and sleep. He is a little over a year old, has bright eyed, clean vent, and no discharge so what's the deal? Haha thanks guys and any other info you can think of would be great, I've done a lot of research but nothing beats info direct from people who've already been through this so we can eliminate any mistakes before they occur :)
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Bum or more?

Postby mb606587 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:04 pm

Most Blue Tongue Skinks will be somewhat inactive and shy for the first few weeks that you own them. Some may not even eat, so the behavior your skink is exhibiting is nothing to be alarmed about. Being that your skink is most likely wild caught, as Halmaheras have yet to be bred in captivity with regular success, it may need even more time to acclimate. Furthermore, some (not all) tend to become very inactive throughout the winter. As temperatures cool, it triggers a natural response in their bodies to slow their metabolism and remain in a state of inactivity until the natural ambient temperatures warm up. I've noticed with my skinks that nearly every winter, at least one will burrow and stop eating, sometimes for several months, while others seem unaffected, even in the same room with same temperatures.

Furthermore, not all skinks are wired the same with their behaviors. I think people that own multiple skinks will agree that you can observe a wide range of different behaviors and temperaments amongst even skinks of the same species and subspecies. I have some skinks that will spend all day out in the open and basking. If I were to pass the enclosure and notice them hiding for extended periods, I would actually be concerned that something was wrong. Then on the opposite end of the spectrum, I have a few that seem to enjoy staying out of the limelight. These skinks I rarely see and I leave them to their own and enjoy the rare occasions when I actually catch them out. The same goes with feeding responses. Some will only eat when left alone but others will actually barrel across the enclosure and dive head first into the bowl before I can even set it down. However, it is much too early to know exactly your skink's true temperament and natural behaviors, so I would suggest giving it time to acclimate to the sudden change in environment before it shows its true colors. In the mean time, research about wild caught skinks and ones that are captive born from a wild caught gravid mother to learn about health issues that many of these skinks possess as a result of the importation process.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”