Identifying a Bluey and toe issues

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Igelchan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Identifying a Bluey and toe issues

Postby Igelchan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:20 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm new here and have a few questions! I bought a bluetongue skink named Emil a while ago and although I have a few other reptiles, blueys are new to me, the guy I bought him from couldn't tell me much about the species and I tried to educate myself in Housing, Humidity and everything needed but I made a mistake in the Humidity because my Bluey got shedding problems and eye infetions. I'm treating him already and we have frequent vet visits because I'm an anxious human being for my pets. He is getting healthier again, the eyes are looking great but unfortunate due to my mistakes he will lose two of his front toes, I wasn't able to remove all the stuck shed on time! The humidity is now much higher in his enclosure and i'm bathing him more frequently!
For my questions, if you will help me identify the species of my bluey and maybe give some proper tips to help him with his toes, the vet said they will just fall off in a bit but I don't want them to get infected or that he is in pain. The antibiotics I gave him aren't necessary anymore. Thank you in advance! :)

I will post pictures of him and the toes as well, maybe others can take it as an example should they ever be in the same situation!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Identifying a Bluey and toe issues

Postby mb606587 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:36 pm

You have a Merauke. You can try soaking the feet in warm water but if the damage is done, not much you can do to prevent them from falling off. If it happens, you can dab the toe with Neosporin to prevent an infection but it won't affect your guy any. It's pretty common so try not to beat yourself up over it.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”