preparing for my bts this summer...suggestions?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
bryan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

preparing for my bts this summer...suggestions?

Postby bryan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:24 pm

Hey guys, I'm preparing to get a baby northern bts this summer from a breeder once they're ready for sale. after researching cages, I think I finally settled on getting an enclosure from animal plastics, more specifically the T8 (48L X 24W X 12H). I wanted you ask you guys your opinions on the add ons though. They have offer heat tape, led lighting, 20in fluorescent light fixture, 8.5in circle screen, a 20x12in screen and heat panels. I was going to go with the light fixture for my ubv light and the 8.5in circle screen for my basking light. But id love to hear your thoughts so I can buy an enclosure to properly house my baby bluey coming soon :)
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: preparing for my bts this summer...suggestions?

Postby mb606587 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Go with your gut and get the uvb fixture and overhead basking light. Heat tape isn't necessary, I'd only really recommend it for night use if you live in a particularly cold area where night temperatures will drop under 60 degrees. IMO, unless necessary, the less things that have the potential of starting a fire, the better.
Edward
Carpe diem
Carpe diem

Postby Edward » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:34 pm

:btsnet2:
Nemo me impune lacessit.
Muggle
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Muggle » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:42 pm

Hi, I'm also preparing for a bts this summer, it's pretty exciting and this forum has so much information. Nice choice on the enclosure, I had looked into animal plastics for my tortoises and they are such nice enclosures, I would go with the uvb fixture and space for a basking bulb. That's going to be one lucky skink :D
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:38 am

API makes amazing cages. I am the proud owner of 10 of them. I highly recommend their products.
vana
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby vana » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:54 pm

I had a radiant heating element installed on my AP cage (AP installed it, I had it shipped there). I used the pro-heat one. I like this heating element a lot. It is on a thermostat (ranco). It keeps the cage toasty warm without worrying about overheating. Puts off no light, so it is no problem at night. I installed a uvb fixture in the cage on clips for uvb and lighting the cage. You con't have to worry about a heat lamp overheating the cage with the heating element on a thermostat.

I got the AP cage with the same floor space as the one you are talking about, but I got the taller one. You may want to consider that so give your critter more space to crawl and climb on objects.

I got the white cage to reflect light and not be dark inside (a good choice).

The only drawback of the AP cages is that they have a strong plastic smell at first anyway (can't smell it now). There is controversy over if this produces fumes that are unhealthy in the long term. I don't know. There are cages made of other types of plastic like ABS or HDPE that are "food safe" and less controversial than PVC.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”