High chance of moving abroad and want to take my skink, what are my options?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Taliats
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

High chance of moving abroad and want to take my skink, what are my options?

Postby Taliats » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:10 pm

So, within the next 2 years, I will most likely be moving abroad (UK to US) and I want to ask in advance what my options are for taking my girl with me.

I have done some research myself but no carriers seem to mention reptiles, I understand that reptiles need specific types of care so I understand completely that most transport services only cater to cats and dogs.

Sorry if this is not the correct place to ask this question but hopefully I will get some answers, thanks in advance.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: High chance of moving abroad and want to take my skink, what are my options?

Postby mb606587 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:38 pm

I'm not aware of any airlines that will allow reptiles in the cabin. In the past, reptiles that qualified as Emotional Support Animals (ESA's) were allowed, but most airlines have cracked down on those policies due to rampant abuse. I would call the airlines directly to find out. There are companies that cater to flying pets overseas. Inquire about whether they could ship your reptiles safely. Reptiles are constantly shipped safely from the East to West coast here and vice versa so it is feasible.
Rakeone
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: High chance of moving abroad and want to take my skink, what are my options?

Postby Rakeone » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 pm

I would get in contact with people selling in the reptiles expos in the UK. I know there are many snakes coming and going from Canada to Uk, so I do not think it would be impossible for the US.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:56 am

Many reptiles are shipped from the UK from breeders. I would check into possibly having him shipped to a friend over here in the US by a responsible reptile shipper?
Perhaps contact a UK breeder for info. If you know someone over here that can care for your pet until you arrive I think that would be a safer option, sending with a shipping company that deals with reptiles.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”