How lazy is to lazy?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Lanky
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

How lazy is to lazy?

Postby Lanky » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:59 am

My BTS northern gets up and just sits under his heat lamp most of the time he use to roam the cage a fair bit but now he is around his heat hide most of the time and ive been wondering if this is normal as they get bigger or is a problem with my set up or worse is he getting sick

Set up:
40 gal Breeder
Aspen bedding
1 WATER bowl
Fed wet dog food with veggies and fruit mixed into from the BTS Food chart from this site
2 Hides one under the basking area where he sits. the other on the cold
1 fake plant
1 night blub and bask spot combo No UVB because i read its not required if i add calcium powder and sometimes vit powder in his food
Temps used with Temp gun 91 under the basking spot to 78 in the cool side (AT night) at day its roughly around the same

He is a male Northen BTS and about 7 months old. Other then lazing about a lot lately the only odd thing is he doenst flick his lovely tongue as much anymore and isnt as jumpy if a i go into his tank. Any help is welcomed
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: How lazy is to lazy?

Postby Yeshika » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:50 pm

Are you giving him calcium with D3 supplement?
This isn't really to do with your question, but it's important if you have no UVB to be using D3, as that helps them absorb their calcium and keep the risk of metabolic bone disease low.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:44 am

Sounds like he is just getting used to his surroundings. If they are happy, they don't do much at all. If he is eating, drinking and looking fine you have nothing to worry about. Post a picture of your skink and setup.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:46 am

And to add, I'd scrap the aspen. Gave my northerns nothing but shedding problems and excessive sneezing.
Lanky
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lanky » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:56 am

yea im swapping the aspen this weekend i dont even like the look of and to answer i am giving his D3 cal :) if every meal right now

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”