Tails and regrowth

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
xkillmeowx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Tails and regrowth

Postby xkillmeowx » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:57 pm

Hello I know some reptiles can regenerate tails can BTS loose their tails easily? I had an anole and his came off with out me even really touching him I cried a lot but newton just became Newton No Tail. Is it easy for them to drop their tails? I’m concerned I don’t want mine to loose his tail.
Thank you
Kiya03
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Tails and regrowth

Postby Kiya03 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:27 pm

Technically BTS can drop tails (usually when very young) but only really in more extreme or stressful situations, from what I understand. it's pretty rare to happen, so for normal handling it should not be too much of a concern :D
xkillmeowx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby xkillmeowx » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:06 am

Awesome thank you
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:29 am

As with any reptile, they should not be handled by their tails. Bluetongues will only drop their tails in extreme situations but still better to be safe. Their regrowth is not at all pretty. Certainly not as fragile as our anoles, who seem to drop their tails if you look at them the wrong way. My Cuban lost part of his as a baby and I have no idea how! He wasn't even being handled at the time, must have caught it on a branch in his enclosure.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:54 am

We had a wild eastern BT living in our backyard when I was a kid, one day it had a run in with next-door's dog and when they passed the skink back over the fence in a hessian sugar bag , it was missing it's tail and pretty *ticked at every one.

Took over a year for it's tail to grow back.
Cherbear
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Cherbear » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:41 pm

They can drop and regrow, but no where to the extent that many other lizards can. I had a baby have its tail bit off by mom last season. This is it 6 months later. This is pretty rare and I've only had it happen to newborn babies from mom or siblings.
FB_IMG_1547847610062.jpg

FB_IMG_1547847612655.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheryl Matula
200+ Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
5.5 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides
0.0.1 Tiliqua sp.
1.1.1 Tilqua nigrolutea
0.1.8 Tiliqua gigas keyensis
1.0.2 Tiliqua gigas gigas

http://www.bluetongueskink.com
http://www.instagram.com/morph_graphics
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Aww! Never experienced that! Poor little thing must have been scared silly!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”